Good 20V Header

olehair
Club4AG Regular

Good 20V Header

Postby olehair » Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:57 pm

Hello all,

I'm looking for a good header to use on my 4AG 20V Black Top, its in an AE86 so I will obviously need a RWD header. What would y'all suggest? I'm looking for a good daily driving header, nothing too racey or whatnot. The motor is all stock with the exception of a set of Poncams. I've heard from a few people the OBX Tri-Y is decent, anyone have any experience with it?

Thanks again!
Matt

TheOxyMorin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Good 20V Header

Postby TheOxyMorin » Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:36 am

I would also really like to see this thread have some good posts... I'm also interested in a header in the near future but from what I've heard, avoid OBX at all costs but that's the only one I know of. :(

apsogosGTi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby apsogosGTi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:15 am

hello guys ... i have done the job with 20v header!on a stock 16v motor and it is very interesting...

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:23 am

apsogosGTi wrote:hello guys ... i have done the job with 20v header!on a stock 16v motor and it is very interesting...

pics & an explanation, or it didnt happen
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

apsogosGTi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby apsogosGTi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:26 am

i ve installed a 20v header on my 16 4age !

there is problem with the starter....it does not fit.....a) you can make a spacer like i did b) you can relocate the starter on the intake side (thats what i am going to do)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho1Lxv5ka9s

apsogosGTi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby apsogosGTi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:28 am

this is the video with 1st posistion of my new custom exhaust system and the 20v header at the top.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4aAQWSu8j4

apsogosGTi
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby apsogosGTi » Fri Nov 08, 2013 5:34 am

this is the finishing of the exhaust system....wi "bend the downpipe" to enchance the space from the oil pan.I can discuss with you the results and what it takes to me for this job to be done

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Fri Nov 08, 2013 6:44 am

olehair wrote:...its in an AE86 so I will obviously need a RWD header...

i think you missed a key part of the PO's first post. i know a 20v header will fit a 16v with modifications to the flange, and will obviously bolt up to the 20v motor in the ae86, but the downpipe wont. he has a 20v motor in an ae86(rwd) and wants to know a good rwd header that will fit well.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
olehair-i have the OBX header with the 20v flange(not the tri-Y), the only problem with the fitment is the floor board and the header to downpipe flange hitting. you can either take a hammer to the floor OR extend the header about 2 inches to clear(as in extend so the flange is 2" lower-which is what i did).

i have been hearing good fitment feedback on the cx racing tri-Y header in the ae86. if you really want a good header, contact JSP on here but be prepared to spend a lot of cash on a header that i personally, cant justify, unless the motor is heavily modified with aftermarket parts.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

HASport AE86
Club4AG Expert

Postby HASport AE86 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:59 pm

JSP john and taka dyno'd the ching chong OBX JSP copy against other headers. Test car was a Blacktop 20v AE86. The car came with a TRD 4-1 as a base. When replaced for the OBX JSP knock off, the engine LOST POWER all across the board over the TRD unit. When testing the JSP header the engine made power over the TRD. I don't remember the exact numbers, but on all the dynos I've seen of john's other headers they make a pretty consistent 10+hp and 10+tq over baseline. Just because they look the same, doesn't mean they perform the same.

As for the price, when was any major purchase for an AE86 justified? lol. Buys an AE86 for $1600, throws on $2000 wheels lol. The only problem with John's header is that the materials alone are $900 and it takes days to make one all by hand. It's a product of higher quality than the market it's meant for (ie college kids with big dreams and a top ramen budget).

I would only run a TRD or OEM 16v on mine. The OEM 16v header actually flows pretty d@mn well. 1987 BTCC Levin ran stock intake and exhaust manifolds, two wheelin' like a mad man.
SwangBiz Corolla Chassis Parts and F20/F22C/4AGE Wiring Services
(we build stuff, I solder wires, we race corollas, then we get drunk)

Proud Supporter of JSPfab.com, BattleGarage, and Solo8 LED Solutions

TheOxyMorin
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby TheOxyMorin » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm running the stock 16v manifold on mine, but the first upgrade I feel that my entire exhaust is holding the engine back. I really don't want to buy something like OBX that doesn't fit right, or shell out so much money it would cost the same for a custom-made turbo manifold (which would be a much larger project overall. Thanks for the comment HASport.

MisterJerk
Club4AG Pro

Postby MisterJerk » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:04 pm

sonofa! why cant we have a newer car that magazines would willingly do a header shoot out with dynos and all that shiz, like every dang honda mag.

phanist
Club4AG Expert

Postby phanist » Thu Nov 21, 2013 1:05 am

i never see any one actually post a picture their custom header for 20v ae86 here..
if there been a post any one have link to them? please thank

Duy-
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Duy- » Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:11 pm

I've had :

Stock Exhaust Manifold Cut flanges to fit
TRD 4-1 Cut flanges to fit
OBX TRD copy 16V cut flanges to fit
OBX TRD copy 20v
OBX Tri Y formula atlantic copy

I'd like to mention that I have cusco engine and transmission mounts which lower the engine a bit and also that the 20v head is a bit taller to the header(s) sit higher than on the 16v.

The stock exhaust clears the floorboards, not much work or effort put in but its heavy and its cast iron

The TRD 4-1 fits beautifully in the 16v and even in the 20v clearing the floorboard heatshields but honestly has no power gains over the stock manifold, or a negligible amount

The OBX 16v already doesnt fit on the 16v engine as it hits the floorboard, and it'll vary from obx to obx because they're quality control is just horrible, they need to write up that team of 5 year old chinese kids they have working part time out of the nike sweatshop. Your options are to hammer up your floorboards which would be the easiest thing to do, or take it to a welder and have him cut the flanges out and point it down a bit to clear the floor.

The OBX 20v is just garbage, yes the flange to the head fits without modification but then the flange on collector ends up hitting your firewall / floorboard area, then the downpipe again also hits your floorboards. I dont even...

The OBX Tri Y... well ching chong and his team of rascals really dropped the ball on this one. It doesnt even look like it wants to fit, it doesn't even try. Now I'm sure the original was made for RHD but for LHD fitment it hits the powersteering column right off the bat, luckily i have a manual rack so its not that big of a deal. The hardware they supplied with (the springs) snapped in my hands so those were essentially garbage. The downpipe wasn't long enough to reach the upper part of the headers, not without first hitting the floorboards, then when you get them barely touching, just enough to keep them on until you can get to a muffler shop, you realize the flange at the end hits the transmission crossmember instead of meeting your catback. Basically it just doesn't fit and you honestly shouldnt event try to, but that being said... it made quite a bit of different on the low end, mid range and high end. It's definitely the first time I've experience bolt on power with a 4age besides the Tomei poncams, very noticeable and well worth the trouble IMO. Each header clearly is made a bit different and will fit horribly on different areas, I took it to a welder / machinist / fabricator and had him install it for me.

Personally I would never buy the JSP headers because of the price alone, 450$ for the OBX plus 100 - 200 to make it fit I can live with... but 1600$ for my 1000$ car is a bit much for me

olehair
Club4AG Regular

Postby olehair » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:00 pm

That header looks beautiful but here's an update: I finally got a PaceSetter. They were on back order but it finally made it. As far as I can tell it is a replica of the TRD 4-2-1. Of course it came with the crappy black paint, but all the welds looked nice. It's off getting ceramic coated at the moment, so once I get it installed I will get back with y'all about whether it changed the feel of the car any. As for fitment, it fits perfect. I had to trim a corner where it was hitting part of my water relocation kit, and of course elongate the corner bolt hole, but other than that, I have nothing to complain about.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:31 pm

I had one, it rusted to **** and cracked frequently. But i didnt ceramic coat it, good luck, let us know the outcome. Fitment was good for me too, just hated the slip joint so i welded a flex pipe in
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

SCLEVIN

Postby SCLEVIN » Tue Jun 16, 2015 1:37 pm

Wondering if anyone out there has got a idea what would be the best exhaust manifold/headers for a supercharged 20v. Going to be custom making it myself but not sure what style and if 4-1 or 4-2-1 would be best.