Are there different exhaust side starters?

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Are there different exhaust side starters?

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:33 pm

So I just got two exhaust side starters in. They will be used on my engine dyno with my RWD bellhousing and will work fine. Unfortunately I tried to squeeze one in next to my production turbo mani and they occupy quite a bit of the same space. These both have the massive solenoid like my old GZE starter. My BT on the other hand came with a starter that was overall about a third the size. I think if there was an exhaust side equivalent my mani may just work with it.
I would like to know what my options are because I have had a few people with MK1 MR2s with exhaust side starters show interest in my mani. Currently the only options seem to be to move the starter (May require a different trans for some) or make a completely different mani for them which then likely wouldn't clear a GZE alt or AC. So has anyone seen a smaller exhaust side starter?

Toyoloog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Are there different exhaust side starters?

Postby Toyoloog » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:32 pm

The reduction type starter is quite a bit smaller than the conventional starter. I have this type on both my GZE and 4A-GE on the exhaust side. (Both engines out of an AE92 chassis)
Coffee is what makes civilized life possible in these demanding times...

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:59 pm

Toyoloog wrote:The reduction type starter is quite a bit smaller than the conventional starter. I have this type on both my GZE and 4A-GE on the exhaust side. (Both engines out of an AE92 chassis)

Thats probably what my BT has too. Can you take some pics from straight on of it mounted on the engine for me so I can get an idea how much space it takes up?
Any idea what year, make, model they are speced for?

onnaj
Club4AG Pro

Postby onnaj » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:44 am

I happen to compared my 4AGE Blacktop starter yesterday with the 4AGZE (AE92 engine) starter from the AE82 from my brother and mine is also about a thirth of the size of his starter.
Check my 4AGE 20V BT teardown, rebuild and transplantation over here --> http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3382

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 9:54 am

My All-Trac's starter is under the intake manifold, for its E series gearbox. So the GZE MR2's starter is under the exhaust side? Seems odd that it would be since they also have an E series.

Edit: never mind, I'm not thinking about the GZE's stock SC/intake setup. I suppose all that space is taken up on the intake side.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Rogue-AE95 wrote:My All-Trac's starter is under the intake manifold, for its E series gearbox. So the GZE MR2's starter is under the exhaust side? Seems odd that it would be since they also have an E series.

Edit: never mind, I'm not thinking about the GZE's stock SC/intake setup. I suppose all that space is taken up on the intake side.

The GZEs have the starter on the intake side. I was just referring to the starter because it's a similar design and size as the exhaust side starters I have and since in later years such as with the BT the went with a smaller starter I was hoping the case would be the same for the exhaust side starters.