Let's talk about supercharger clutches

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Let's talk about supercharger clutches

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:22 am

So I can now get replacement bearings for SC clutches and I can replace the bearings as a rebuild service. Unfortunately looking at the two clutches I have I am thinking that is a very small part of the problem. I went turbo when my SC died. The clutch bearing is what failed and it completely disintegrated. Upon closer inspection I can see that the friction material got cooked also and pretty much just fell out when I messed with it.
I also have mk1noob's old SC that had the later smaller clutch on it. The friction material is still there but it appears as though it has been making contact with the metal on either side for a very long time. This makes me think that the friction surface is barely doing anything at this point. This makes me wonder some things. I assume from the factory the clutch was only supposed to contact the friction surface right? Is contacting metal to metal acceptable? Will it grip well enough and just be a little noisier or will it just slip?
If both of these clutches were worn down enough to be making metal on metal contact I would assume that most SC owners clutches are in similar condition.
If the friction surface is necessary it has me wondering what options there are to replace it. I am curious if there is a clutch disk resin or something similar that I could use to bond a fresh layer into the pulley. I will be looking into this more. If anyone else has any experience with this let me know. Another thought I had was the possibility of machining a little material off the contact surfaces of the pulley then finding or making a very thin floating clutch disk to go in there. I am guessing unless I could make something myself or find something off the shelf this probably isn't a very viable option. I will be talking to a couple clutch companies to see if there is anything that could be made to work cheap and easy.
I have lot's of experience in composites so if we could figure out proper resin and fiber I would feel pretty comfortable trying to make something that would work. I just don't know a lot about making composites for use as a friction surface.

One thing I have taken away from this is make sure to inspect and maintain your clutch.
I'm not sure if the bearing failing and overheating killed my friction surface or if my clutch slipping caused the heat and the bearing failure. I can say though had I wanted to keep my SC I would have been a lot better off taking care of it, inspecting the gap and doing any other maintenance procedures in the BGB. It's also a good idea to regularly inspect the bearing movement. Any time you have the belts off spin the pulley, pull in and out and rock it back and forth. It should feel very tight with no play. It should spin smooth but with a slight resistance. If it moves around at all or if there is any crunchy sound or feel to it I would highly recommend addressing the problem as early as possible. What may be a simple bearing swap now could be a completely useless and unfixable clutch in the near future.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Re: Let's talk about supercharger clutches

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Mar 30, 2013 10:24 am

I should specify that I can now get clutch bearings for the older larger SC12 pulley that was in the US GZE.
I am looking into getting bearings for the smaller SP GZE clutch witch is a different size.
If anyone has a SC14 and can get me a number off the bearing and or dimensions of the bearing I can look into bearings for that as well.