Reputable JDM Engine Importer

Tofu4u
Club4AG Regular

Reputable JDM Engine Importer

Postby Tofu4u » Mon Feb 18, 2013 3:28 pm

Greetings,

Does anyone have recommendations to a US based engine importer?

Specifically an imported BT/ST 20V?

I've done some searching and found the following 'reputable' dealers:

Texas JDM Engines

Elite JDM (Rarely stocks 20V)

Your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Ralph

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Re: Reputable JDM Engine Importer

Postby gotzoom? » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:49 am

ALL (meaning every single one of them) engine importers have absolutely no idea what the condition of every engine is that they import. In Japan, shops pull the engine and install a new one. Scrappers come and pick up the old engine and sell it to companies that import them. Car owners need to go through a vehicle inspection regularly and this involves either replacing or rebuilding the engine at 100,000km. Since car owners know that they will be replacing the engine well before it's usefulness is reached, they often do not do regular maintenance. Every imported engine that I have cracked the valve cover on looks like someone was frying fish under there. This likely means that the engine oil that you received is the same oil that was installed at the factory when the car was built. You really should factor a rebuild into your plans and if you do that, it doesn't matter that much who you buy the engine from.

Tofu4u
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tofu4u » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:28 am

I'm not expecting a picture perfect engine from an importer either. I'm sure some if not all of these imported engines have been sitting in a junkyard in Japan for months or years since it was pulled from a car. I've read some importers physically go to Japan and only import motors that they have seen or driven before it hits the scrap yard (from badly damaged or totalled cars). You will pay a bit more for these motors but in the end you have a peace of mind. What I'm looking for is an importer that has some sort of 'quality control' in what they sell. It doesn't have to be perfect in the sense of initial appearance but at the least bit mechanically sound for the time being. I guess it really is a hit or miss when it comes to obtaining a motor and expecting it to be in accceptable condition to install straight into your car.
Last edited by Tofu4u on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tofu4u
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tofu4u » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:29 am

Old Skool Yotas wrote:http://japanengine.com/ they have always taken care of us we have done a lot of stock replacements for customers through our shop and NEVER had a problem.
stay away from tiger jdm they sent me a motor full of pieces then tried to dodge me for the 30 day period

Thanks for your suggestion! I'll definetely look into this place.

xb_release_2
Club4AG Regular

Postby xb_release_2 » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:31 am

I was in the same boat as you not too long ago, I eventually pieced a fully rebuilt long block set up for less than I would've payed from an engine importer. Their are always guys going bigger and better than a 20v here on the forums. Check the classifieds, at least you're buying direct from a person and not dealing with a company that will pull the engine off a shelf, place it on a skid, shrink wrap it and not even visually inspect it. Just my .02

gzus13
Club4AG Regular

Postby gzus13 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:55 pm

Since you're in Cleveland, I'll recommend Zerolift Autolab in Cincinnati, if you're willing to drive a little. I was up there not too long ago and they had several 20Vs in stock. They also had a couple BEAMS 3S/6spds in stock. All of them are compression checked and guaranteed to run. They have pretty good prices too.
88 AE92 Corolla DX, 86 AE86 Corolla GT-S, 73 TE21 Corolla Deluxe

Psalm 91, 2 Timothy 1: 9-10, Ephesians 2: 8-10

http://www.superhachi.com

Tofu4u
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tofu4u » Wed Feb 27, 2013 10:13 am

gzus13 wrote:Since you're in Cleveland, I'll recommend Zerolift Autolab in Cincinnati, if you're willing to drive a little. I was up there not too long ago and they had several 20Vs in stock. They also had a couple BEAMS 3S/6spds in stock. All of them are compression checked and guaranteed to run. They have pretty good prices too.

Wow! I'm surprised there is an importer of this size in Ohio. I will definetly consider this place the next time I decide purchase a motor. Thanks!