toyota turbo engines that fit in ae86?

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

toyota turbo engines that fit in ae86?

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:21 pm

just like the subject states... are there any factory turbo Toyota engines that are good fits for the ae86? meaning 4 cylinder Toyota turbo motors lol

jondee86

RE: toyota turbo engines that fit in ae86?

Postby jondee86 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:15 pm

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Re: toyota turbo engines that fit in ae86?

Postby CloudStrife » Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:45 pm

Supra motors too heavy. 3SGT is too much work and money. I'd just go 4AGT if you want boost that bad.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:09 am

3SGTE is your only option, and it is arguably the fussiest and most costly vs nissan, mitsu, mazda, 4s
Turbocharging the 4AGE would be the "best fit" imo. Set any 'reasonable' goal, and the runt has delivered, without much fuss
Eventually I plan on turbochraging my last GTS.... keeping it all toyota. Full street car
Micro or megasquirt, with crank trigger + coil pack, gets the distributor out of the way. Tune NA 1st.
Fab(or source) a thick wall, short runner manifold with perfect turbo placement/downpipe route (& oil filter access)
I'll start with a T3 turbo, so future bolt-on upgrade.... can double the hp easily, with decent response
After clutch upgrade, a gearbox adapt/upgrade may be next on the radar.
Custom bellhousing would allow one to go with a starter under the intake, instead of toyotas' stupid placement
Simultaneously move battery/trey over to same/passenger side
A well tuned boosted healthy stock old 4AGE should be 12sec capable. Build a 7AG for more torque & if u wanna go nuts

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:12 am

Money and knowhow is all it takes to go fast :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YsqHroXHsIA

Cheers... jondee86

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:40 am

ca18 was my lowest cost path to a turbo corolla. Good 'fit', already 1.8, strong 5spd, tweakable oem electronics, etc..
"Keep it toyota" tax = $$$$pend considerably more
Fortunately, skills & brains can drastically reduce a 4AGTE budget.... down into the 'good performance value per dollar' category imo

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:16 am

thanks for the response guys! honestly this was kind of just a discussion starter and not me looking for an engine per say haha. BUT a 4agte is deff the rout I would go BUTTTT.... I have weber dcoe carbs and finding all the FI stuff is super hard and expensive haha I would love to go turbo with my carbs I think that would sound awesome

Gino1X1
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Gino1X1 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:53 am

Like I've already wrote in the other sub forum:

http://www.proturbo.fi/gallery/carina.htm

a 4AGE (in this example, a 4AGZE) can be great too, albeit carbed & turboed blowthru. In the nineties....
Last edited by Gino1X1 on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:05 pm

jinx wrote:ca18 was my lowest cost path to a turbo corolla. Good 'fit', already 1.8, strong 5spd, tweakable oem electronics, etc..
"Keep it toyota" tax = $$$$pend considerably more
Fortunately, skills & brains can drastically reduce a 4AGTE budget.... down into the 'good performance value per dollar' category imo

Keep it toyo tax, so tru haha!

You got pics of the CA18? I love that motor. If I had S13, I'd rather have that than the SR20.

Wait, I think I've seen your car.. Didn't you have a blog? Your valve cover was a sweet custom job?

https://www.diyauto.com/manufacturers/t ... -marley4us
Last edited by CloudStrife on Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:07 pm

Ultimately, it comes down to what you want to do with your car. How far up the
preformance spectrum you want to go. Put a stock daily driver at one end of the
scale and a balls out dedicated race car at the other end. Consider the trade offs...
what you are going to gain and what you are going to lose. Look at the supporting
modifications to brakes, trans, suspension etc that will be required to match your
peformance goals. Then check your wallet :D

I happen to like the idea of keeping the AE86 true to its 4AGE roots. If I wanted
500hp I would get another car with better suspension, a stronger powertrain and
factory turbo, and modify that. Just makes more sense if you want to spend your
time driving ratherthan fixing broken stuff.

Cheers... jondee86

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:50 pm

I agree, but it's also a catch-22. I love the AE86, and probably about 60% of that affection is for the 4AGE. And it really is a better performer as a naturally aspirated engine, so it's kind of a defeatist philosophy if you ask me.

Honestly, the motor from the factory is a Yamaha, not so much Toyo. So in the end, does it really matter?

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:09 pm

Don't get me wrong... if I had my heart set on a dedicated race car, I would go
down the same road as these guys....

http://www.build-threads.com/build-thre ... ascarae86/

Stiff as, strong as chassis with all the good suspension plus engine and drivetrain
of choice, and then dress it with a fiberglass AE86 shell. Get the look, performance
and safety all in one package. Maybe use a 3UZ instead of a LS3 :)

I just don't think putting 500hp into a 30 year old econobox chassis is a good idea.

Cheers... jondee86

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:38 pm

Couldn't agree with you anymore John, at that point, you're just using the car for the chassis shell, and in my opinion there are much cheaper and better chassis out there. Honestly, as far as the track goes you just cannot beat an early gen Miata. I'd get another NA if it wasn't such a horrible DD lol.

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:35 pm

You got pics of the CA18? I love that motor.

Never posted pix of any project. Will soon tho. CA18 stuff going to a coupe. Didn't intend to, but daily drove my CA S13 for 14 straight trouble-free years! Most reliable car I've ever owned. That dirty nissan made a believer out of me.
4AGE. And it really is a better performer as a naturally aspirated engine

dunno man.... depends on where u set the bar. Moded 4AGE makes for a noisy & weak performing street car for me. No boost? Gimme a UZ
Boost totally transforms a 4AG. A couple GZE 'street' rollas hit 13.7-13.9 range with bolt ons. Impressive torque & acceleration for a 1.6L
Stock bluetop, big or smallport ZE + T28 or T3 gone hi 12s.
Add T3/T4 @~25psi + 260-270 cams, have touched high 10s
Those are excellent street car acceleration figures, for what they are imo

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:10 pm

I just don't like big turbos, maybe a small, quick spooling boost on the 4AG, it just would seem strange to me. 1/2Js are awesome, but pig slow unless it's in a light chassis, and it's twin sequential. Single big turbo is not my thing, but I know 90% of FD and MKIV Supra guys love it. I've never ridden in a 1j corolla, but I feel the whole weight distribution would be chaotic and it wouldn't handle right.

You're right of course, but it's like the B18C1/5. I think it's perfect N/A, it has high comp pistons and grunts so beautiful. Second only to the 4A. But, you could boost a VTec B series, and it would be killer, but I'd rather turbo B18 LS/RS/GS. I just love noisy motors done right. Makes me feel fast and not get tickets :).

Honestly there is just too much drift tax on the AEs for me to do anything like that. I'd rather just build up a CRX or NA Miata and blow everyone away. If you want straight line power and torque, there are guys running v8 twin turbo Miatas lol. V6 CRX, etc. etc. Or just go the ever popular K-series.

I like 240s, but they are annoying to deal with. They are the king drift rat and you really have to search for a clean chassis. Better off finding a vert for parts and an auto coupe for donor.. I do miss Zilvia.net though. It's like the most active JDM forum!

But it's all relative. If I went for a ride in your rolla with the SR, I'd probably give you a "my bad dude" @peak torque, along with *Edit post.