4AGE 16v fwd to rwd

arvin429
Club4AG Regular

4AGE 16v fwd to rwd

Postby arvin429 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:22 pm

I'm doing my 4AC to 4AGE Bigport swap into my 1987 Toyota Corolla SR5, but I live in New York and pretty much no one has a rwd 4AGE motor. So I'll most likely need to use a 4AGE out of a MR2, but I need help with the water lines. Yeah I found info on doing the swap, but it's pretty outdated: (http://www.toymods.org.au/forums/thread ... (AE86-AE71)-pictures-included )
AE82 parts are hard to find nowadays, especially in New York. It's really hard to even find a MR2 4AGE. Can I use the any cooling parts that is on my 4AC? And is there any new info about the 4AGE 16v fwd to rwd that fits with modern availability? Any info would be great to be honest
That being said if anyone has all the waterline parts for a RWD 4AGE 16v for sale let me know
Also if you're in the northeast region and selling a 4AGE Bigport and or a Smallport let me know
Arvin

CloudStrife
Club4AG Pro

Re: 4AGE 16v fwd to rwd

Postby CloudStrife » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:26 am

Are you that committed to an early model 4A-GE? If you go 20v, there are almost a thousand engines floating around on Ebay and the like with free shipping, and sometimes residential.

If you're already going to rip out the engine, you might as well go 20v, unless you are trying to keep it more stock. There is also a crazy amount of information on SR5 to 20v swap right here on C4AG.

If you're still trying to find a local engine, I'd go Facebook. It's really the way to go when searching for local stuff.
Success guardian... Successsssssss..

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Tue Dec 12, 2017 7:44 am

If you want to go with a 16v then here are some general thoughts for doing 16v fwd to SR5 16v rwd:

There are quite a few different things you can do to get a fwd 16v 4age into a rwd AE86. I have seen so many different combinations get the job done. However, in general you will want to have the rwd upper and lower water necks along with the water lines that run under the intake manifold. The fwd rear water outlet should be alright but if you can get a full rwd setup that would be best. If you plan on running a AE86 crank fan then you will need a rwd water pump as well. You will also need to match pulleys accordingly.It may be possible to use your 4ac water lines that go from the back of the water pump to the rear outlet. There is a main pipe and a smaller pipe. I forget what the smaller pipe is used for. Lastly, It looks like the AW11 intake manifold throttle body is facing backwards. So you will need a TVIS rwd intake as well. You will also need a matching rwd header because the 4ac header is located on the passenger side of the car. You will also need a GTS bellhousing for the transmission and the clutch line and slave. I am sure there are some other things I am forgetting... maybe someone else can chime in.

I would say your best bet to be patient and scoop the parts from the for sale section on these forums. You can try that or post a WTB. A lot of people do not stick with the 16v so you should be able to get these parts for cheap.

Maybe it is worth looking out for a gts parts car.... and doing a full GTS swap.

peep this:

http://web.archive.org/web/201204262113 ... ad?id=6239

arvin429
Club4AG Regular

Postby arvin429 » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:16 am

I'm trying to keep my car stock and plus I have already have almost all the parts for the swap. I already have the rwd intake manifold and throttle body and as for the bellhousing, I'm just going to use the SR5 bellhousing but run a stainless steel clutch line and possibly wrap the header. I've already swapped out all the harnesses except for the headlight harness. I was planning on just extending the alternator wires to accommodate for the alternator being on the other side. Plus it's ridiculously hard to find a GTS parts car in the Northeast. How to deal with the vacuum lines?

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:15 am

Another issue is the RH motor mount bracket. The FWD block will probably already be taped for the engine mount bracket, but the FWD alternator mounting bracket will interfer with a stock AE86 RH mounting bracket. You will need a RWD alternator mounting bracket or fab/mod your own engine mount or modify one attachment point on FWD alternator mount. DaveW7