valve buckets loose

2jzma61

valve buckets loose

Postby 2jzma61 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:08 am

Just realized I cant upload video.

I've got 272 / 264 cams in a used head that I don't really know the history of. Some of the shims I had to run were .128" and .130"
While checking clearance again to re adjust the shims, I found a bucket that was slightly loose (Intake #3, rear) and one that is quite loose up and down, and a bit side to side (Intake #4, front) . Intake #4 rear, and Intake #3 front is just fine. So its not isolated to a single cylinder.

Can the buckets get wore out, and need replaced with possibly larger od buckets? or is the head just scrap all the sudden.
86' Levin hatch
85' P-type Supra
87' MR2
85' Cressida
87' Cressida beater

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Re: valve buckets loose

Postby davew7 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 4:50 am

You be $crewed!
If you had a rare engine, a machine shop could actually sleeve the bucket bores.
Time to look for another used head in better condition.
You need to find what caused the problem. I would do a close inspection, of the current valves, springs, keepers, relative to cam spec's, before swapping any of the parts into a new head.
Then compare that with what the cam Mfgr recommended valve train components should be used with your cam.
DaveW7

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:54 am

Pretty much as davew7 states... There are other options besides sleeving the worn bores... but all options typical cost more then finding another head.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

davew7
Club4AG Expert

Postby davew7 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:01 am

There is another possible cause. Check to see if the cam has shifted f/A and is centered over the buckets Vs offset, which would cause the bucket to slide up/dwn Vs rotating. There could be enough tolerance is the cam lobe core to affect just a few buckets. Dave W7

Swiftdriver
Club4AG Regular

Postby Swiftdriver » Wed Aug 30, 2017 9:21 am

Check with Loynings , they had to put 2 oversize buckets in my race engine at last refresh. Ya don't pitch a fully race prepped cyl head cause a couple buckets bores got sloppy.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:00 am

Swiftdriver wrote:Check with Loynings , they had to put 2 oversize buckets in my race engine at last refresh. Ya don't pitch a fully race prepped cyl head cause a couple buckets bores got sloppy.

quite true.... In the OP's situation a replacement head may be less costly. Your head, has a great deal of time into it already, so overboring and using an O/S bucket is well worth the cost.
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

Swiftdriver
Club4AG Regular

Postby Swiftdriver » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:44 pm

I agree totally, my point was that it CAN be fixed. You are correct in that it may not be economically feasible. I do however have a nice stock bigport head for sale cheap.