Can a 4ac crankshaft work on a 4age?

arvin429
Club4AG Regular

Can a 4ac crankshaft work on a 4age?

Postby arvin429 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 10:01 am

I bought a 4age engine and a lot more parts for $100. The engine is disassembled and is missing the crankshaft, the oil filter bracket, the water pump, some camshaft hold downs, alternator bracket, and water lines. Can I take anything off of my 4ac that would work? The 4ac is out of a 1987 corolla sr5.

jondee86

Re: Can a 4ac crankshaft work on a 4age?

Postby jondee86 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:37 am

I seriously doubt that it is worth your while trying to build a 4AGE out of that
pile of bits. By the time you chase down the parts that you need, and replace
what is worn, you would be better off just buying a complete running 4AGE.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

arvin429
Club4AG Regular

Postby arvin429 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 7:55 am

So I should part out the 4age?

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:46 pm

You could always keep the parts as spares, especially if they're in good shape. I agree with the notion of getting a complete engine. I made the same mistake when I started out, I bought a disassembled 4A-GE out of an AE86. I ended up not being able to use any of the parts since my wagon has a FWD engine bay, the block doesn't clear my AWD transfer case, the crank was a 40mm one, and the head wasn't in good shape (some tried to "port" it but botched it).

I've always heard it's not a good idea to swap cam or main caps from one engine to another. They're bored as a set. But you may be able to have caps from other another engine matched up and re-bored. Others here would know a lot more than I do about that, if it's even recommended.

If you have a 7 rib block, with its main caps, I would definitely hang onto that. Especially if you somehow ended up buying a complete engine that was a 3-rib. Then you could rebuild the 3-rib engine using the 7-rib block someday.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Just to answer the first question; YES, the 4AC crank can be used in the 4AG block.
So, if you are not in a hurry, don't mind pulling your 4AC to pieces, and just want to
try your hand at building a running engine, you can use a lot of 4AC parts. Both have
the 4A block, and as far as I know the crank, rods, bearings etc are interchangeable.
The only known difference is that the 4AC crank has 6 bolts instead of the 8 bolts
on the 4AG. Just means you have to use the 4AC flywheel.

As said above, it is not good practice to mix and match used engine parts as certain
parts such as bearing caps (rods, mains, camshafts) are custom matched to each
engine and should always go back on the same bearing and facing the same direction
as when the engine left the factory. BUT, if you are not trying to build a race engine,
you can just make sure that everything fits without getting tight or nipping the shaft
and hope for the best :)

Seeing as the parts are used and worn, you can use as much as you can take from
the 4AC and swap it onto the 4AG block. Go track down any missing parts, and then
see if you can get it to run. Great learning exercise... how to use a torque wrench
and put an engine together without spending a whole bunch of cash.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.