4age 16v timing problem

evanstewy
Club4AG Regular

4age 16v timing problem

Postby evanstewy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:22 pm

I rebuilt my distributor with the kbox rebuild kit and now I can't get the timing set right. Ever time I try to line up the rotor it either will go to 20 or jump down to 0 degrees like I'm off a tooth in the middle. Can the new cotter pin get in the way of the gears? Or is there something else I could be doing wrong?

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4age 16v timing problem

Postby Jeonsah » Mon Feb 11, 2013 9:54 pm

well if the car starts, then you most likely have the distributor inserted correctly. I would double check that cotter pin. Also the sharp flap on the shaft that spins inside the distributor has to be a certain distance away from the pick up points. These pick up points generate your ne/g signals. This tells your computer how fast your crankshaft/camshaft is rotating. This gap must be set with a feeler gauge. I believe the range is 0.2 - 0.4 mm. You can adjust it by undoing the screws to the pickup assembly, adjusting the assembly, and then tightening the screws down to make sure its in the proper range. Once this is done, I would try reinstalling the dizzy.

This thread shows exactly how to setup the dizzy before installing it:
http://web.archive.org/web/201205080128 ... ad?id=8286

When installing, make sure your engine is at TDC. So your crank mark should be at 0 and your camgear notches should be lined up with the backing plate.

Good Luck

Vic

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Mon Feb 11, 2013 11:37 pm

I have heard that if you install the gear backwards it will put you a half a tooth off. I forget if it's spinning it 180 or flipping it top to bottom but make sure that gear is installed exactly as it was before you removed it.

evanstewy
Club4AG Regular

Postby evanstewy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:42 am

Thank you for the responses. I will try both of your suggestions tonight. I didn't touch the pickups but I will check it anyways because it might have moved when I was working on it. The gear is on top to bottom how it shows on the rebuild guild but the 180 degrees off does sounds like it could be the issue. I will let you guys know if it works. Thanks again for the help! :D

evanstewy
Club4AG Regular

Postby evanstewy » Tue Feb 12, 2013 9:28 pm

Got the timing working correctly now! Looks like it was the gear turned 180. Thanks again for the suggestions. That problem was starting to drive me crazy.