4AG turbo recommendations?

GZE_RA21
Club4AG Enthusiast

4AG turbo recommendations?

Postby GZE_RA21 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:57 pm

Hello again C4AG

So im planning on putting together a turbo build 4A and wanted to see if anyone has any experience or input they could share. Yes, ive done lots of research and read a lot of posts here and else where but im very new to turbo anything and could use a little advise on a couple things.

I'm going to start with a AE101 4AGZE longblock, most likely going to sick with the stock bottom end for now with the 8.9:1 CR pistons so I can focus more on the top end.

I'm planning on controlling it all with a mega squirt standalone then getting the smallport head a P&P/head work, cams something like the kelford 262 / 8.25mm lift 193-T's, uprated valve springs, shim-under or shimless lifter conversion if necessary, custom intake with velocity stacks and a 2.5" TB, and a steam pipe turbo manifold.

Here's where I'm a little confused, i have lots of options for a turbo flange from the manifold manufacturer - T25/T28, T3, T4, TD05. And almost all those are available in a properly divided manifold with a twin scroll flange for a nominal fee.

I like the idea of the having benefits from a divided twin scroll manifold regardless of the flange i end up with, but I'm not sure what turbo flange would be a good fit for the 4A. I'm thinking a T3 would be a nice in between size for the power I'm hoping to make, I'd be very happy with 200+ with room to grow but I don't see myself exceeding 300hp.

I'd like a good turbo (no ebay junk) that spools decently quick but i don't need anything instant, i have seen lots of holset turbos going for dirt cheap, like less than 300. seems to be a quality turbo but is it way too massive for the 4a? The HX35 is a divided twin scroll T3 which is how i found it in the first place and ive seen the dsm guys use them quite frequently.

I'm not trying to cheap out or anything but can't currently justify factoring in an extra $1000+ on some of the comparable garrett products just to get my setup running. I do have a spare internal WG TD04 laying around as well, ive seen T3-TD04 adapter flanges too so im considering that as a possible starting point. Keep in mind im just planning this out at the moment, the only components I actually have are the GZE and megasquirt, the more I learn about turbos the more i realize how important it is that everything work well together. Kinda obvious i guess haha.

Anyone wanna add their $.02? Thanks in advance!

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Re: 4AG turbo recommendations?

Postby jinx » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:31 pm

holsets r unbeatable value. hx35 seem like the best quick spooling 500+ hp turbo for a street 2.0L.
The magic is in the small runner divided header. A few crazy folks put holsets on 4AGEs. Stock hsgs r big heavy suckas tho

an evo III 16g is an inexpensive, compact, light, responsive, tuff little bugger regularly rang out past 28psi @400+ hp
can b upgraded to 20g billet & 9 blade 05h wheel that hit lo 500s on evo

t3 cheap tried and proven, with numerous simple inexpensive t3/t4 upgrades up to 500s

either is a good starting point, easily meet ur goal. I'd stick with the simplicity low cost internal wastegate
Stock head, stock intake, get it up & running with a good tune. Clutch upgrade time
Add regrind cams later if going past 300. T50 may start screamin at u
If still power struck ~400s hp, then I'd consider port work/match + custom short runner/bigger plenum intake (cut off some cheap honda aftermarket intake and weld to 4AG flange). I wouldn't worry about "velocity stacks".
At that point a rolla will scare u out of ur mind.... if it hasn't killed u by then

buick GNs and DSMs has taught that it's ok to 'cheap out', as long as u r smart

oh, and the most powerful gze piston club4ag member dyno just over 600, ebay turbo with upgraded compressor wheel

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Postby jdm86gtz » Sat Mar 04, 2017 4:41 am

I run a T25G turbo from an S13 SR20DET on mine and it's a good match, you have the scope for lots of upgrades with a T25 flange and I got the turbo for about $100.

GZE_RA21
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby GZE_RA21 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:42 am

jinx wrote:holsets r unbeatable value. hx35 seem like the best quick spooling 500+ hp turbo for a street 2.0L.
The magic is in the small runner divided header. A few crazy folks put holsets on 4AGEs. Stock hsgs r big heavy suckas tho

an evo III 16g is an inexpensive, compact, light, responsive, tuff little bugger regularly rang out past 28psi @400+ hp
can b upgraded to 20g billet & 9 blade 05h wheel that hit lo 500s on evo

t3 cheap tried and proven, with numerous simple inexpensive t3/t4 upgrades up to 500s

either is a good starting point, easily meet ur goal. I'd stick with the simplicity low cost internal wastegate
Stock head, stock intake, get it up & running with a good tune. Clutch upgrade time
Add regrind cams later if going past 300. T50 may start screamin at u
If still power struck ~400s hp, then I'd consider port work/match + custom short runner/bigger plenum intake (cut off some cheap honda aftermarket intake and weld to 4AG flange). I wouldn't worry about "velocity stacks".
At that point a rolla will scare u out of ur mind.... if it hasn't killed u by then

buick GNs and DSMs has taught that it's ok to 'cheap out', as long as u r smart

oh, and the most powerful gze piston club4ag member dyno just over 600, ebay turbo with upgraded compressor wheel

Thanks for the advice and quick replies, im thinking the T3 divided manifold looks like the best option at this point, ill continue to research it though. Sounds like my original plan will get me past my goal of 200hp with ease.
I guess i should have mentioned this is going in my 71 celica, roughly the same size engine bay as the AE86 but ive got a W58 transmission fitted to it with some beefy weir performance axles in a GTS corolla rear end to handle the extra power.

Thanks again for the suggestions! The more opinions the merrier!

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:39 am

T25 is a great low 200s match if u want quicker spool up/earlier torque onset and u r sure you'd stay under 300hp :lol:
jdm ca18 turbine hsg is 0.48. sr20 is 0.64. Can machine stock T25 housings for a T28 chra to chase low 300s
Should the hp bug bite, there are better options than trying to squeeze 400+hp through a T2 footprint.
...hence the t3 or 16g starting point. EZ 300 capable, while 4-500 hp only a $400-450 upgrade away... maintaining the same flange, downpipe, turbine hsg, etc..
with standalone, custom header & W58, you've already pushed the door open, for 'beast mode' :roll:

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:37 pm

jinx wrote:Can machine stock T25 housings for a T28 chra to chase low 300s

Would this be the GT2860 "disco potato?" I thought I was looking at that at some point, when I was going to build a 4A-GTE.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

jinx
Club4AG Expert

Postby jinx » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:23 am

't28' can b many things, the potatoe is just one flavour.
Most T25 > T28 upgrades use the T3 super 60 compressor wheel mated to an upgraded turbine. T04b cover n wheel on a handful too
Some turbo shops just supply a t28 chra and machine your T25 housings to suit, ~$500. Shop around, ask em about ur options
Most ca18 folks for instance, just grab a used nissan sr20 S14 T28