COP's on a silvertop using oem ECU and other 20v Q's

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

COP's on a silvertop using oem ECU and other 20v Q's

Postby notnilc20 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:45 pm

I've seen a setup 1zz-fe coil plugs on a silvertop with oe ecu. But i read on sq engineering website that you should not do this. Why is this? Does anyone have experience with this?

Also....are there any other (besides sq eng.) decent solutions to converting the coolant feed/return to rwd?

I see most people going with itb's....but does that mean you have to use a aftermarket programmable ecu since you no longer can use the air flow meter?

For the silvertop 20v...does it use the 7 rib block? Can I use bluetop conrods out of a 7 rib with 20v pistons?

Will I be able to switch over all my 16v accessories to be used with the 20v setup including a/c? Thanks.

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Re: COP's on a silvertop using oem ECU and other 20v Q's

Postby Jeonsah » Mon Jan 09, 2017 9:28 am

1. I am running 1nz cops on stock BT ecu. The problem with running cops is that each cop is fired whenever any of the others are fired. So that means each cop is firing 4x as much as normal. I have also noticed that the BT20V ecu is quite smart. So it eventually tries to hold back timing with COPS installed. This will basically not enable you to rev the engine all the way. I drove my car quite a bit before this became an issue. I was able to resolve it by putting the engine in diagnostic mode and resetting the timing/retarding the timing a bit. I had my timing advanced more than needed.

2. There are also T3, SSWorks, and RS Chita cooling options available. I personally have the RS Chita kit. Clean and looks just like a 16v setup. My car does not have heating problems. I have been beating on it all summer at the track with no issues. I do have a mishimoto radiator + duel fan setup however.

3. You do not need an aftermarket ecu to run the 20v 4age. If you want to run open velocity stacks with a ST20v, then you will need to use BT 20v electronics (ecu, map sensor, etc).

4. Silvertop is a 7 rib block. Not sure if you can use bluetop rods with 20v pistions.

notnilc20
Club4AG Pro

Re: COP's on a silvertop using oem ECU and other 20v Q's

Postby notnilc20 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Jeonsah wrote:1. I am running 1nz cops on stock BT ecu. The problem with running cops is that each cop is fired whenever any of the others are fired. So that means each cop is firing 4x as much as normal. I have also noticed that the BT20V ecu is quite smart. So it eventually tries to hold back timing with COPS installed. This will basically not enable you to rev the engine all the way. I drove my car quite a bit before this became an issue. I was able to resolve it by putting the engine in diagnostic mode and resetting the timing/retarding the timing a bit. I had my timing advanced more than needed.

2. There are also T3, SSWorks, and RS Chita cooling options available. I personally have the RS Chita kit. Clean and looks just like a 16v setup. My car does not have heating problems. I have been beating on it all summer at the track with no issues. I do have a mishimoto radiator + duel fan setup however.

3. You do not need an aftermarket ecu to run the 20v 4age. If you want to run open velocity stacks with a ST20v, then you will need to use BT 20v electronics (ecu, map sensor, etc).

4. Silvertop is a 7 rib block. Not sure if you can use bluetop rods with 20v pistions.

Thank you very much for the reply. Definantly going to look into the RS chita rwd water kit. Well....what my final goal would be is to run a silvertop with turbo running low to moderate boost, but thought maybe I could go n/a at first and turbo further down the road. So maybe better to use a custom air box plenum that bolts to the throttles on the oem silvertop from the beginning...then I could use the 20v ecu and afm? Then maybe I could relocate distributor to the front of the engine. Thanks again....right now I'm just trying to get info.