4age 16v with carbs and COP?

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

4age 16v with carbs and COP?

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Thu Dec 29, 2016 1:23 pm

just wondering the easiest way to run coil on plug ignition with my high comp dual carb 4age 16v motor. if there is one haha but I have an msd 6al running my ignition at the moment and just regular distributor no vacuum on it or anything. any ideas. ive heard once someone removed the cap but kept the rotor button to send signal to the coils. correct me if im dumb

SR85DET
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: 4age 16v with carbs and COP?

Postby SR85DET » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:32 am

I can't help entirely with your question but what are you trying to achieve? Just going to COP? Do you have any ignition advance adjustment? MSD 6AL2 programmable offers adjustment where as the standard 6AL does not.

jakes_hachiroku
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby jakes_hachiroku » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 am

SR85DET wrote:I can't help entirely with your question but what are you trying to achieve? Just going to COP? Do you have any ignition advance adjustment? MSD 6AL2 programmable offers adjustment where as the standard 6AL does not.

well im realy just trying to see if its even possible haha and yea I just have a 6al no adjustments on it at all. its not like my distributor has failed me ever just kind of curious

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:37 pm

From a timing point of view, there is no doubt that COP's plus a trigger wheel on
the crank, offer the most accurate and jitter-free results. However, as their name
suggests (Coil on Plug), to get the best out of them you need to have a way of firing
them sequentially, adjusting the dwell (if using "dumb" COP's) and firing them at
exactly the right point in the engine cycle.

COP's are triggered by a low level (5V) signal provided by an ECU, which also has the
necessary inputs to calculate the correct instantaneous ignition timing for engine
load and rpm. If you cannot control the COP's properly, then you will gain no timing
advantage over a correctly setup distributor with inbuilt electronic timing module.

If you are currently running an ignition system that has fixed advance, then for sure
you will get some benefit from adding a method of obtaining control of the advance.
I believe that there are KE?? distributors that have a factory electronic advance
module built-in, and there are also aftermarket modules that add electronic timing
control to a standard distributor. The MSD with programmable advance curve is
annother option.

Personally, I would say that unless you are planning to convert to a full EFI setup,
just find a way to add a proper advance curve to your existing distributor setup.

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

fiveten
Club4AG Expert

Postby fiveten » Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:52 am

I'm selling an MSD 6AL 2 with complete plug and play harness for a carb'd 4AG. PM me if you're interested. Reason for selling is because I went ITBs.
IG: profdens
IG Store: dsspeedshop