20v oil type question

40vpurpletop
Club4AG Regular

20v oil type question

Postby 40vpurpletop » Sat Dec 17, 2016 11:14 am

Hi,

Can anyone tell me the reason why everyone recommends 20w50 without the reason being its in the manual for a 20v blacktop? What is the reason for such a high cold start viscosity? Why should I get that over lets say 0w40? I've read all sorts of recommendations such as 5w30, 10w40, 15w40, 20w60 and all sorts so I'm a little unsure which to get for my car.

Thanks.

jondee86

Re: 20v oil type question

Postby jondee86 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:36 pm

Toyota FSM oil grade recommendations for the 20V blacktop...

Cheers... jondfee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

s24a
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby s24a » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:51 pm

Another possible reason is that the viscosity of the oil affects the Oil Control Valve for the cam phasing.
Typically the clearances in it dictate the viscosity.
Too thin and too much leakage and slow response.
Same with too thick an oil.

Hank
"When the going gets, wierd, the Wierd turn Pro" -- Hunter S. Thompson

40vpurpletop
Club4AG Regular

Postby 40vpurpletop » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:10 pm

s24a wrote:Another possible reason is that the viscosity of the oil affects the Oil Control Valve for the cam phasing.
Typically the clearances in it dictate the viscosity.
Too thin and too much leakage and slow response.
Same with too thick an oil.

Hank

Is that why the cold viscosity is high? What happens when the oil warms up and has less viscosity? I guess I'm just looking for a reason for a high cold viscosity. I ask cause I was a little strapped for time and I had a jug of mobil 1 0w40 that I used on my blacktop. Did I just messed up?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:57 pm

40vpurpletop wrote: strapped for time and I had a jug of mobil 1 0w40 that I used on my blacktop. Did I just messed up?

You should be fine.......
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

s24a
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby s24a » Sun Dec 18, 2016 5:57 am

Viscosity in multi=grade oils can be thought of as follows:
Take your 0W-40 for instance.

At room temperature (20ºC) the first number is the TRUE viscosity. Its a "0" weight oil.
However, the viscosity improvers in the oil cause it to act like the second number when under heat and pressure. (a 40 weight oil)

So in the case above, you have a very thin oil that can act as a heavier oil in places that have pressure points , like bearings.

As to OST's comment that you will be fine, you will have to see how your engine's OCV performs with this oil.
You definitely will NOT ruin anything, but you might feel some difference in the action.
Also, it may be possible that your seals in the engine will be more prone to weep leakage with a thin oil (speak from experience here!).

Hank
"When the going gets, wierd, the Wierd turn Pro" -- Hunter S. Thompson

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Sun Dec 18, 2016 11:44 am

20v's also seem to be known to consume oil. One of my speculations is that the 20v arrangement causes more valve stem wear, I had to have my bushings replaced on my rebuild. There's also the warning to not use the OEM style oil cooler as the 20v needs higher oil pressure to run properly.
So I don't think its the end of the world running the light oil, but I would change it at earliest convenience.
If I can find it, I want to run thicker oil eventually, but I'm still in break in period.