4age Hard Start, Occasionally stalls

FujiwaraTofu

4age Hard Start, Occasionally stalls

Postby FujiwaraTofu » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:16 pm

hey guys,

so i just got my 86, it's an 86
sr5 with a full gts conversion, has a 16v 4age with tvis. So the main problem is that the car when cold starting cranks over for a while before firing up. if i give it gas it helps but it'll never start on first crank. other than that while your driving and say you come to a red light. if you clutch in the rpm dips way down to 4-500 and comes back up to around 800. i know some of that is normal but it has stalled out on me a few times and i'd like to figure out why.

So if something could cause both of these anyone know what it would be?

Under the hood the cold start injector isn't hooked up. and it appears that the TVIS vacuum ports have all been capped. Other than that i have no idea what's going on under there.

Deuce Cam

Re: 4age Hard Start, Occasionally stalls

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:30 am

Does it only happen for a short period of time after a cold start, or always?

FujiwaraTofu

Postby FujiwaraTofu » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:52 am

it cranks for a while every time it's a cold start. it only stalls once and a while when you stop, and it'll be at normal operating temperature.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Dec 02, 2016 6:43 pm

The lack of cold start injector likely explains the excessive cranking, and also possubly the hard start.

When you 'clutch in' you basically mean neutral right? (In other words: idle is really low and fluctuates some, even when warm?)

Tps abd ignition timng wiuld probably be a good place to start - follow the service manual. In a pinch you *might* be able to just loosen the idle speed adjusting screw to keep it from stalling in the mean time.