Best Option?

Cortina69
Club4AG Regular

Best Option?

Postby Cortina69 » Sat Sep 17, 2016 2:41 am

I currently have a large port running on ae101 itbs. Now if I wanted to keep it NA, would it be best to stick some small port Pistons in? Or drop a full silvertop engine in?

Still might go 7age, as I've just got a 7afe engine for next to nothing. Any ideas would be fantastic.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Re: Best Option?

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:28 am

What is your budget? What else do you have in the engine now? What do you want out of your engine? A set of high comp pistons would be nice, but forgings have been getting more budget friendly lately. Matrix garage has a good set for a reasonable price.

Some will say to just put in the 20v, not a silver top, a black top. Black top will delete the AFM and is set up better. Yadda yadda.

Personally, I say do the 7AGE. Pay attention to the comp ratio! A set of 4AGE 9.4 pistons will net you a CR in the neighborhood of 11-1 and high comp 10.3s will approach 12-1. Cam timing is key to 7AGE happiness. Get both a set of adjustable timing gears AND a reclocked crank gear. Best timing belt with a 4age oil pump is 115 teeth, use the 7A pump and 116 tooth belt is the way to go. If you use the 4A pump the pump outlet to the block and the block main oil galley are not aligned perfectly. A little dremel work will fix that and there is a gasket available with an oval hole. IF you must use the 7A rods the best way it to bush the small ends for 18 or 19mm pins and get forgings for that size pin. If your budget won't allow that expense have the pins "press fit" to the rods, DON'T hone the rod ends to float the pins or bushed for 20mm pins. Outside of those things building a 7AGE is like doing a 4AGE. although there are two head bumps on install, the alternator bracket and if FWD/MR the exhaust needs work to clear the oil pan. I'm sure Yoshi will chime in on this, MG has the things you need, even a nice light flywheel. Do it right and it'll rev like a later 4AGE, but with a lot more grunt!
One shot, one kill.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Sep 17, 2016 3:19 pm

If you decide to keep it 4AGE I do have an unassembled bottom end listed in the "for sale" section.
One shot, one kill.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:22 am

sirdeuce wrote:Get both a set of adjustable timing gears

I'd add to this -- get a quality set of cam gears. Lately there's been a pic floating on Facebook of someone's grenaded cam gears. I'm guessing (not sure) that they were China specials.
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sun Sep 18, 2016 10:12 am

TTT has a set available for under 200 bucks.
One shot, one kill.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:32 pm

sirdeuce wrote:TTT has a set available for under 200 bucks.

I have what I think is an older set of those (bought them used/good condition a few years ago). It looks like the newer one has an aluminum gear (the part in contact with the timing belt), whereas the ones I have use what looks like a modified stock (steel) gear. I'm wondering if the aluminum gears hold up over time?
'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)