4age

asheel

4age

Postby asheel » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:00 pm

my car just wont start...no crank nothing...when i turn the key to start all the check lights turn on and is bright...but when try and start the engine, the lights turn really dim but the battery meter shows power of 10v...

any suggestions???

we are in fiji so over here we dont have much gadgets..please anyone help out.

carbd7age
Club4AG Pro

Re: 4age

Postby carbd7age » Wed Feb 06, 2013 2:20 pm

Sounds like the starter is stuck. Try whackin it with a stick.
Eric'sFreeAE86 from the old site
Knockoff Crew member #0001

Jeonsah
Club4AG Expert

Postby Jeonsah » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:05 pm

I would start by charging the battery and trying to start the car after it has charged for a few hours. Then go from there. If there is no cranking going on with a full battery, then I would start by checking your fuses and your wiring coming from the starter.

If the car does start, then you may have a charging issue. If it does start, have both the battery and alternator tested at a local autoparts store. This will tell you if you just had a bad battery or if your alternator is not producing current to charge the battery.

Start with that. Good luck!

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:43 pm

First I wouldn't trust the stock gauge to be terribly accurate. Second 10v is a dying battery. It should read over 12. Even then if it doesn't have the amps it still won't crank. You would notice the voltage drop a lot when you try to crank.
The fact that the lights dim tells me it's not likely a fuse.
Charge the battery and try again. If that doesn't work then clean the pos and neg terminal and all grounds to the engine and chassis. If that doesn't work get the battery tested under load.

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kennyb01 » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:26 pm

Do you hear a clicking noise when turned to the starting position? If not I'd say it's likely the starter relay. If you hear a clicking most times it is the starter solenoid not fully engaging or the motor is frozen up. After you charge the battery check for these symptoms. Most auto parts stores also do starter and alternator tests. Better yet it's a free service.