LSD questions

aaron.platek
Club4AG Regular

LSD questions

Postby aaron.platek » Wed Mar 16, 2016 2:47 pm

I have been looking into swapping my differential over to LSD. I started to look for the TRD LSD but it seems very difficult to acquire I found a site called nengun and looked over all of there LSD. These are the ones that I saw and was wondering if someone could give me information to what would be the most suitable LSD to buy and run in my car. I have never dealt with swapping a car over to LSD which I will be having a shop do it anyway, but I am a bit lost of what people use or feel is a great LSD to use. Here are the links and thank you for your comments:

http://www.nengun.com/cusco/lsd-type-mz
http://www.nengun.com/kaaz/basic-solid-lsd
http://www.nengun.com/os-giken/super-lock-lsd
http://www.nengun.com/tomei/technical-trax-advance
http://www.nengun.com/trd/limited-slip- ... mechanical

SgtRauksauff
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: LSD questions

Postby SgtRauksauff » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:56 pm

My GT-S had an LSD to begin with. when I built the engine, I had Weir Performance Engineering fit a 4.778:1 ring & pinion, solid spacer crush-sleeve, etc.. to a new KAAZ 2-way LSD, and install it into the third member that I sent to him. It's served me well for several years of autocross and time attack fun, as well as the occasional drift and daily drive.

I think any of the ones listed will work fine, just as long as you set them up properly. Also, if you have plans on crazy power or other ways of abusing your diff, you should definitely check out a solid pinion spacer, and maybe even upgraded axles etc...

--sarge

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Wed Mar 16, 2016 4:54 pm

Tomei seems to be the best deal, but if cost isn't a concern os giken seems to be the best. Fwiw all options you listed are known to be quality products.

May I ask what your expectations are? In other words, what are you looking for in terms of performance and intended use?

aaron.platek
Club4AG Regular

Postby aaron.platek » Thu Mar 17, 2016 1:57 pm

I am looking for more street and autocross. I have already purchased a 4.77 Ring/Pinion. I was hoping to get a TRD 2-way, but it seems to be discontinued as I cant find a place to purchase. I also was reading that Cusco is a cone style and the others are clutch style. How will these make the ride of the car on street vs autocross days.

I am restoring my Hatch back AE86 and have went through and replaced all of the mechanical parts and figured why not add LSD into the mix. The other part I have been searching for is the quaife upgrade for my manual rack. I was going to buy a store bought car, but instead decided to go the route of rebuilding my Corolla since I felt it was different than just buying a 370z or G37. Plus I have learned my car and know how to fix situations when something goes wrong. I learned a lot about suspension and how each parts works with one another. Been an interesting process but I have spent a lot of money and have done a bunch more upgrades than I figured I would have from the beginning. Major swap was changing over to a digital gauge cluster.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:35 pm

I've got a quaife qsr and it's my favorite mod. I also have a cusco rs 1.5 with 4.77's. The lsd is my second favorite mod.

Cusco sells 2 types of diffs: RS and MZ. Check here for more info: http://www.cusco.co.jp/en/parts_product ... ypemz.html . I believe the other brand diffs you posted all use springs instead of cone plates, but I could be wrong.

Personally I think a 1.5 is the way to go, but it depends on the overall setup and preference. Also, most diffs are set to '100% lockup' by default (I know for sure that cusco's are). They're usually adjustable though. I threw mine in with the default setting and regret it. When it gets rebuilt I'll probably have the lockup set to 60%, and will remove half of the springs.

Here's a good resource for understanding the adjustments: http://www.motoiq.com/MagazineArticles/ ... S-LSD.aspx

gotzoom?
Club4AG Expert

Postby gotzoom? » Fri Mar 18, 2016 10:32 am

Deuce, gotta stop trail braking. :D

aaron.platek
Club4AG Regular

Postby aaron.platek » Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:34 am

Those were really good article to read and I have decided to go with the cusco setup. Would it be best for me to set mine at 100% lock up at first until I get used to driving the car? The only other part I am having an issue finding is the quaife rack. Sent an email to the UK site seeing if they can ship to the US. This is my first car I have fully taken apart and rebuilt from ground up so has been a learning experience and I have learned a lot about how each piece works. Just can not wait until I can finally drive it, but my brother said I am lucky because his took seven years where mine is only taking me a year to knock out.

Deuce Cam

Postby Deuce Cam » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:01 pm

^Keep in mind that the other diff brands can likely be adjusted just like cusco.

The default setting (usually 100% lockup) would be easiest/cheapest since they come that way out of the box. Adjusting the diff isn't really on most peoples' radar so you won't find much info on it here. Plus, many folks here are interested in drifting, i.e. they want the most lockup possible since it's closest to a spool or welded diff. Only you can decide what you want. My recommendation is doing a lot of research.

Sounds like you're on the right path for tracking down a quaife rack. I got mine over 5 years ago when the forum was a lot more active with vendors.

gotzoom? wrote:Deuce, gotta stop trail braking. :D

Even if I'm on the throttle before the turn I sometimes get an undesirable affect. It only happens on really tight turns, and tight uphill turns. The near equal wheel speeds in those situations upsets the chassis balance, it's like po-go'ing type feeling. Further, since the ae86 is a foot down type of car due to low engine tq. (and I'm using 4.77's) the lockup on the diff engages very easily due to throttle input.

Fwiw it's a street car and I usually only drive spiritedly when having fun (not very fast). If I was able to drive all out using the whole road it might be less of an issue because the rear end would rotate more in a turn. I've noticed that when my diff is really warmed up and operating at it's smoothest, like after doing some donuts, it just wants to rotate on turn - seems like there's less grip.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:16 pm

Don't forget the default rack from Quaife will be for right hand drive... just saying. They do make a left hand drive rack.

vashachiroku
Club4AG Regular

Postby vashachiroku » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:18 am

Where can you purchase a Quaife from? Every site I found seems to be out of stock or their web store is a piece of trash and doesn't work to check out.

totta crolla
Club4AG Pro

Postby totta crolla » Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:42 am

aaron.platek
Club4AG Regular

Postby aaron.platek » Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:14 pm

Thank you for the advice I will be going with the cusco differential. Just seeing which I need between the kouki and Trueno.