Cylinder 3 spitting?

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Cylinder 3 spitting?

Postby kennyb01 » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:29 am

Hey guys, story is I rebuilt the block because oil was getting past the rings and had a bit of blow by. The engine ran fine before that. It's a 16 valve with weber 45 dcoe carbs. I set timing, wired up the msd, and started it up for the initial break in. But for some reason cylinder 3 spits periodically and inconsistently out of the velocity stack. The only thing I replaced in the carb is the valve for the floats (it was stuck shut and wouldn't fill the bowl) I replaced the gasket on that top plate since it leaked fuel. I haven't touched the idle air screws only adjusted idle. Any ideas as to why it would be doing this? Ps. Carbs were obviously tuned prior to teardown.

allencr
Club4AG Expert

Re: Cylinder 3 spitting?

Postby allencr » Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:06 pm

What's the compression?

Ps. Carbs were obviously tuned prior to teardown.

I don't know what that means, probably that the jetting is OK, but they have to be synchronized and their idle mixture has to be adjusted, there are no options.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:20 am

Is there any possible way you have a sticking valve or maybe a tight shim? I can't think of too many reasons why it would do what you describe but a leak on the compression stroke blowing air back out the intake seems about as logical as anything.

kennyb01
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby kennyb01 » Sat Feb 02, 2013 6:43 pm

Thanks guys, things I've considered but wanted a second opinion. I was really hoping I could cheat and not have to re-tune the carbs. Lol I'll double check compression and for a sticky valve as well.