20v BT ae86: What's needed and what's not?

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

20v BT ae86: What's needed and what's not?

Postby shagymc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 4:57 am

I don't want this post to seem vague or anything so I'll give you all the information I have and hopefully you can shed some light on what I'm missing or what I can dump. 2 Years ago I was living in WA and I had a shop pull my 16v and swap for a used 20V BT. I knew nothing of the motor and hadn't had much experience with motors besides the usual maintenance required for cars so I went to a shop. When everything was said and done, I spent a lot of money on the swap but it was behaving weird. It pulled and sounded nice until about 3000-4500 RPM and it would bog down a bit but once it worked up to about 5 and up she pulled great. Unfortunately, the swap was done when I was deployed and when it was finished I had been transferred across the country.
The ECU is a stock M/T BT ECU. I recently pulled the motor due to a leaking head gasket and replaced most of the seals. The distributor is relocated to the front of the motor using an unknown kit. I'm also running the SQ V3 cooling kit and no heater core. I don't know much about the vacuum system on these cars and I think most of it has been deleted from the motor. The motor is still out and I want to make sure I get all the right parts to get this thing running properly. I'm also fighting an issue with the longest ignition wire being to taught. It's the extended wire from SQ but I guess the aftermarket kit I have pushes the distributor out further than the SQ kit. The EGR system I believe was set up to work with the stock one. I have to do more research on how that system works as well but I'd like to remove whatever I can to clean up the bay and make things easier.
Once the motor is in, I've added a wideband O2, oil pressure, and oil and water temp gauges from innovate so monitoring shouldn't be an issue I just want to get everything I need now with it out before I get ready to put it back in.
Any info I've left out just ask and I'll take pictures and/or look up what I can.
Thanks in advance!

Last edited by shagymc on Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Re: 20v BT ae86: What's needed and what's not?

Postby morgan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 12:43 pm

there is no TVIS on the 20v, your problem is most likely a vacuum related issue.
there is a vacuum thread on the old c4ag archives in the TECH ref section for 20v
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up

shagymc
Club4AG Expert

Postby shagymc » Thu Jul 09, 2015 2:29 pm

I knew I was going to say at least one dumb thing. I'm not sure I know what he was talking about was missing then. I'll remove that part of the O.P.

morgan
Club4AG Pro

Postby morgan » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:06 pm

VVT solenoid, ISCV, VSV for evap maybe?
haha cali...i got one of your 86's and you're not getting it back.
My turd of an 86
20v swapped 86 write-up