4age 16v head on 20v block? (1620 set up)

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Re: 4age 16v head on 20v block? (1620 set up)

Postby RLZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:08 am

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
RLZ wrote:
saiGone wrote:that $1600 Engine for sale also wont be anywhere near 140whp though.

It's basically a rebuilt largeport w. hi comp block. Something he could achieve for around 2k+ his current set-up

i know its far from 140whp on that set up but still better than rebuilding the blue top doesnt it?

Better how?
Cheaper maybe.
You would be able to get more power out of your largeport with a proper build but not for $1600.

I might get a small port high comp rebuilt with forged pistons instead of 1620, cheaper and at least i know what is going on on the motor. K1/Passracing quoted me around $1200 for complete long block rebuilt included forged pistons which i think its a pretty good price.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 9:13 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:http://hachiroku.net/forums/showthread.php?t=37561

looks pretty good, does it cut off the top part and rewelded in opposite way? $220 does it really that much?

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 1:40 pm

RLZ wrote:

looks pretty good, does it cut off the top part and rewelded in opposite way? $220 does it really that much?

mine was about $150, but that was 6 years ago.... and mine was the first one I know of that was modified that way. $220 isn't cheap, but doing ITBs is more, and even an adapter, corrected will run you nearly $200

RLZ wrote: K1/Passracing quoted me around $1200 for complete long block rebuilt included forged pistons which i think its a pretty good price.

$1200 including forged pistons.... seems too good... get a complete parts list for the engine*, also check if they are willing to warranty it.

* - Bearings - OEM, or aftermarket, gaskets and seals - OEM, or aftermarket. Oil pump Toyota, Aisin, or other? Same for the water pump....

Just trying to help you cover your ASSets
OST Cyl head porting, - viewtopic.php?f=22&t=300

Building a great engine takes knowing the end... before you begin :ugeek:

Enjoy Life... its the only one you get!

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 2:50 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:
RLZ wrote:

mine was about $150, but that was 6 years ago.... and mine was the first one I know of that was modified that way. $220 isn't cheap, but doing ITBs is more, and even an adapter, corrected will run you nearly $200

RLZ wrote: K1/Passracing quoted me around $1200 for complete long block rebuilt included forged pistons which i think its a pretty good price.

$1200 including forged pistons.... seems too good... get a complete parts list for the engine*, also check if they are willing to warranty it.

* - Bearings - OEM, or aftermarket, gaskets and seals - OEM, or aftermarket. Oil pump Toyota, Aisin, or other? Same for the water pump....

Just trying to help you cover your ASSets

I know itbs will run a lot more also required standalone, what is your motor set up and hp? any head works?
I didnt ask about what they use for the rebuild but i believe they use good stuffs probably OEM, how much for the full gasket/seals for the small port usually from toyota? Because they have some heads and blocks laying around $1200 is only for the rebuild not including pull the stock motor from my car and swap over.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Wed Jun 17, 2015 5:41 pm

RLZ wrote: what is your motor set up and hp? any head works?

140-145 whp on mostly stock parts.... :shock:

I'm running a 264 type cam, 10.7 to 1 compression, and a LOT of very precise machine work, including a ported head.

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Wed Jun 17, 2015 7:00 pm

RLZ wrote:I didnt ask about what they use for the rebuild but i believe they use good stuffs probably OEM, how much for the full gasket/seals for the small port usually from toyota? Because they have some heads and blocks laying around $1200 is only for the rebuild not including pull the stock motor from my car and swap over.

I agree that price sounds sketchy.
Cheapest forged pistons I can get are $480. That's almost half your budget right there. If you are going for a performance build you need cams too. That's another $600-$800.

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:01 pm

oldeskewltoy wrote:Image

RLZ wrote: what is your motor set up and hp? any head works?

140-145 whp on mostly stock parts.... :shock:

I'm running a 264 type cam, 10.7 to 1 compression, and a LOT of very precise machine work, including a ported head.

Does it on standalone ecu? What machine works you have it done? Pretty interested it's my goal over there!

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Wed Jun 17, 2015 11:12 pm

yoshimitsuspeed wrote:
RLZ wrote:I didnt ask about what they use for the rebuild but i believe they use good stuffs probably OEM, how much for the full gasket/seals for the small port usually from toyota? Because they have some heads and blocks laying around $1200 is only for the rebuild not including pull the stock motor from my car and swap over.

I agree that price sounds sketchy.
Cheapest forged pistons I can get are $480. That's almost half your budget right there. If you are going for a performance build you need cams too. That's another $600-$800.

I might just ask for a part list next time. I may get Tomei poncams, I want 272 but it won't run good on the stock ecu, standalone for the future but stock for now. My plan is pretty simple just Trd HG, toda valve spring, Tomeiponcams, toda cam gears, lightweight pulley, light weight flywheel etc... I think it's a nice set up for street.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:18 am

yes... standalone... easy enough to tell... ignition wires go to the intake side of the engine.... :shock:

Why do you want 272 cams???

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 8:38 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:yes... standalone... easy enough to tell... ignition wires go to the intake side of the engine.... :shock:

Oh yeah I just realized it haha, looks way cleaner without the dizzy! Bigger cam bigger power high rev? Haha I'm not sure maybe just 264s.

oldeskewltoy
Club4AG MASTER

Postby oldeskewltoy » Thu Jun 18, 2015 9:19 am

RLZ wrote:
oldeskewltoy wrote:yes... standalone... easy enough to tell... ignition wires go to the intake side of the engine.... :shock:

Oh yeah I just realized it haha, looks way cleaner without the dizzy! Bigger cam bigger power high rev? Haha I'm not sure maybe just 264s.

the longer the duration the cam has, the peak of the torque curve moves higher in the power band... In essence the point of most work happens higher in the rpm band. This can be good, or bad depending on what your purpose is.

In my engine I "stuck to" 264 type cams because I wanted a more daily-able engine... as you can see it makes plenty of power, and it makes it over a wide rpm range. In a race engine you are rarely driving it @ 2800-3500 rpm - daily-able rpm levels.

As to costs... I'm currently rebuilding a 4AGE for my new for me Corolla FX16. The engine ingested a spark plug electrode and now is getting rebuilt. Current costs $200 for bearings, and new rod bolts, $170 to clean the block, and clean and polish the crankshaft. I'll be using a Cometic gasket $88, and the rest of the gaskets and seals from Toyota $200. The block needed an overbore $150, and overbore means new, in this case - CHEAP, cast pistons $50. Rings are another $75 - again cheap because no premium ring exist anymore for this application. The block was also surfaced $150 to provide a zero deck. Since my machine shop has far more accurate/delicate instruments, I'm having them assembly the short block - $400. No oil pump yet($100-$160 depending on where, and what you buy)... the water pump was recently replaced, so I don't have to spend there. Now add in the work performed on the head - 30 hours of my time, and $300 for the 3 angle and surfacing.

so even with my connections I'm spending over $1850.........

RLZ
Club4AG Pro

Postby RLZ » Thu Jun 18, 2015 11:35 am

oldeskewltoy wrote:
RLZ wrote:

the longer the duration the cam has, the peak of the torque curve moves higher in the power band... In essence the point of most work happens higher in the rpm band. This can be good, or bad depending on what your purpose is.

In my engine I "stuck to" 264 type cams because I wanted a more daily-able engine... as you can see it makes plenty of power, and it makes it over a wide rpm range. In a race engine you are rarely driving it @ 2800-3500 rpm - daily-able rpm levels.

As to costs... I'm currently rebuilding a 4AGE for my new for me Corolla FX16. The engine ingested a spark plug electrode and now is getting rebuilt. Current costs $200 for bearings, and new rod bolts, $170 to clean the block, and clean and polish the crankshaft. I'll be using a Cometic gasket $88, and the rest of the gaskets and seals from Toyota $200. The block needed an overbore $150, and overbore means new, in this case - CHEAP, cast pistons $50. Rings are another $75 - again cheap because no premium ring exist anymore for this application. The block was also surfaced $150 to provide a zero deck. Since my machine shop has far more accurate/delicate instruments, I'm having them assembly the short block - $400. No oil pump yet($100-$160 depending on where, and what you buy)... the water pump was recently replaced, so I don't have to spend there. Now add in the work performed on the head - 30 hours of my time, and $300 for the 3 angle and surfacing.

so even with my connections I'm spending over $1850.........

i might stick with 264 then, my car most for street use.
For $1850 you got almost everything new and you also have surfaced the block and 3 angle surfacing. which those are not included from K1 quoted me, i might have to use the old oil pump water pump etc..if they are still good.