91 Cressida a/trans problem need advice

yellowhachi

91 Cressida a/trans problem need advice

Postby yellowhachi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:48 am

My 91 Cressida is starting to have a problem with it's automatic transmission. It has 125k miles. I believe it's an A340e trans and what is happening is it doesn't shift from 1st gear to 2nd until the engine rpm reaches 3500. It only does this when cold. once the engine starts to reach normal operating temp the trans shifts at the proper engine rpms. So every morning I have to drive the first few miles reving the engine little past 3k in order for it to shift into the next gear and it makes no difference shifting manually or in drive. I've tried replacing the filter and fluid but that didn't help. Matter of fact I've drained the trans fluid 3 times because you can only get about 2 qts. on each drain. You can never get the majority of the fluid out so I'm hoping that doing this will eventually dilute to clean fresh fluid and maybe solve the issue. I don't have the time or money for an overhaul and finding a good used trans in my area is null. My question to you trans gurus, Do you think it's the shift solenoids or a sticky spool valve in the valve body?

rix86
Club4AG Regular

Re: 91 Cressida a/trans problem need advice

Postby rix86 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 9:05 am

it's supposed to do that to a point.
3500 is a bit much though.
You might be needing a coolant temp sensor.
It COULD be a solenoid or valve sticking.
Does it have ANY other shifting problems?
Yes, I'm THAT guy

yellowhachi

Postby yellowhachi » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:29 pm

Yes, I agree to a point but not at 3500. It never did it before, only a couple of months ago. It shifted at about 1800 which is more normal. I'm hoping that you trans guys know what circuit maybe doing this, hopefully I can repair it by dropping the valve body and or solenoids. That would be alot easier than a complete tear down. I also want to be sure if it is the solenoid because the kit which contain all three is kinda pricey. Thanks in advance for all replies.

rix86
Club4AG Regular

Postby rix86 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:24 am

It seems that maybe thats what mine was doing.
I had 2 problems, one was a solenoid I re-soldered a wire in and a restricted pickup screen.
It was a bunch of years ago, I don't remember for sure what it was doing.
Yes, I'm THAT guy