FX16 transmission/axle questions...

Tater
Club4AG Regular

FX16 transmission/axle questions...

Postby Tater » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:57 am

So I picked up an FX16 some time ago with a "JDM big port" swap, which I am still not 100% sure on, but my question is the transmission. This car has a few mods, and not sure it has the stock C50 in it. My driver's side axle is the triangular 6 bolt up type (even though the axle is round on the end), but the passenger does not appear to bolt up, it appears to fit inside the tranny, like I believe the C52 does. I was going to replace the passenger side as the car was all over the place when trying to drive it and the passenger axle has all kinds of play where it goes in to the tranny. I ordered an FX16 passenger axle from a parts store, and it clearly stated FX16, length looks the same, however it bolts to the tranny. What tranny has a bolt type axle on the drivers side, and a slide in type on the passenger side, do I possibly have the wrong axle...or am I crazy? Have been pouring over the threads on multiple sites and don't seem to really see much on the passenger axles, or the FX16 tranny. Anyone replaced axles in their FX, have pics, or know if they should be both bolt on?

ae82hybrid
Club4AG Regular

Re: FX16 transmission/axle questions...

Postby ae82hybrid » Tue Sep 17, 2013 2:11 pm

The FX axles are a 2 piece axle for both driver and passenger side, you have the axle shaft assymbly and then you have the axle stub (6 stud tulip). If your passenger side doesn't have the removable stub then someone might have changes it out for a newer year corolla cv axle which are one piece assymbly and still the same length and should work.

Tater
Club4AG Regular

Postby Tater » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:33 pm

Okay, makes sense, wasn't sure if the stub was removable or not, if there had been on there. So being that there is a large amount of play in the axle currently on the passenger side, do you think it would be better to get a stub to put back in and use the real FX axle (if I can even find a stub), get the newer axle to replace, or is this even going to fix my issue? The car wanted to pull all over the place when I accelerated and decelerated, pulling to the passenger side, and when looking at the axle, it had all kinds of movement where it meets the tranny. Is there any kind of bearing where the axle meets the tranny, or could a new tranny be in my future? Thanks for the info you gave and any you can continue, just not a lot of info out there for these cars, so its greatly appreciated.

ae82hybrid
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae82hybrid » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:11 am

Pulling issue could be a result of many different problems happening to the vehicle such as tire separation, alighnment issues, worn suspension parts, brakes if pulling when braking. The only bearing between the transmission and cv axle is the internal differential bearing. Try flip flopping both front wheels with one another and see if it pulls the opposite direction (pull to the driver side), if it does then its more than likely your tires are worn unevenly or separating. As for cv axle, you can remove the stub out of the tranny, it has a lock ring on the splines that keeps it in there. I kept on using my stock 2 piece axle because i have lifetime warranty on them and when I need to take the engine out I don't really have to take off the spindles to remove the axles, I can just unbolt them at the stub, but if I had a chance to change them over to the solid axles I would because I have broken the studs on those stubs before due to running an aggressive 4-puck clutch with correct torque on the nuts, I did run on 20v equal length solid axle for awhile but sold the axles. I would say just use what you can get your hands on.

ae82hybrid
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae82hybrid » Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:18 am

I would say try to get a good spare tranny on the side or save up to get another tranny because these tranny will start to give you issue if you arn't already having them such as 2nd and 3rd gear grinding and 5th gear popping out.