Shock inserts for corolla AE82

stefaantje

Shock inserts for corolla AE82

Postby stefaantje » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:50 am

Hi all,

Can onyone tell me if it's true that the shock inserts from a MR2 (AW11) can be put into the strut casings of a corolla AE82? (FX16) If so, I guess that the OEM MR2 shockies will be stronger than the corolla's? (MR2 being a pure sports car)

I'm trying to lower my AE82, but I want to keep the lowering springs captive, so that's why I need some short(er) stroke shocks than the corolla's OEM's.

All tips and suggestions welcome :)
(info on other exchangeble parts are always welcome :)

Best regards,
Stefaan

bwh13
Club4AG Regular

Re: Shock inserts for corolla AE82

Postby bwh13 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 4:05 pm

I have some rear MR2 SW20 adjustable shocks on the front of my FX16. I thought they were shorter than the stock inserts, but they are only about 1/4" shorter. They do have much better damping than the originals. I have researched different insert lengths for a while and have found that only the Koni race adjustable inserts are truly a lot shorter than the stock inserts. There may be others out there but I haven't been able to find them. The Koni inserts have an approx 11.4" body and stock inserts approx 13.5".

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Re: Shock inserts for corolla AE82

Postby sirdeuce » Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:49 pm

I'm a little late on this thread, I was looking to do the same thing but I just finally gave up and ordered coilovers from BC Racing. IF they ever arrive I could let you know how they do. If you consider a good set of adjustable shocks for a car other than the one you are working on may never really be right, and the cost of said shocks......... The BC set costs @ $1000 shipped. Just expect to wait awhile for them.
One shot, one kill.