AW11 No Start ***SOLVED***

Frany
Club4AG Regular

AW11 No Start ***SOLVED***

Postby Frany » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:57 pm

986 Toyota Mr2 5speed NA
My car was running fine but about a week ago it didn't want to start anymore. There is no check engine light, it cranks great and it's getting fuel. When I pull out the spark plugs they're covered in gas.
So I thought that I'm not getting spark. My spark plug wires were a little old and worn so I replaced them with a new set then I tested the coil and it was almost dead so I bought a brand new coil and installed it with no new results. I then cleaned all of the grounds and made sure they were touching metal. I unplugged my electrical connectors and cleaned them with electric parts cleaner. After trying to fix this problem for over a week now my battery went out and wouldn't start the car even when it got a jump. So now I'm the proud owner of a brand new one.
Then I thought it may be the distributor so I tested it and the ohm readings are in spec. The air gaps for the pickups inside the distributor are within spec. I've also tried a brand new distributor cap and rotor to no avail.
Grounded the spark plugs on metal today and I can see blue sparks coming from each spark plug. I have spark! yay....but it still won't start.
I replaced the spark plugs today as the old ones were fouled. I also installed new o rings and caps on all of the injectors as well as my new fuel damper. Also installed a brand new fuel pump today and still no change. I've checked the timing and it's dead on.
I've tested the Mass air flow sensor and its within spec, I replaced my throttlebody with another one and recalibrated the Throttle position sensor. I did a compression test and all cylinders are good. Checked all of my grounds and fuses again, swapped out the ecu for a known good one and checked for vacuum leaks but didn't find any.

Now when I try to start the car I'm getting intake manifold backfires my timing is dead on so could my fuel pressure regulator be causing this? Is there anything else that could cause this?

Don't know what else to try, really need some help guys.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Re: AW11 No Start, Please help

Postby sirdeuce » Fri Nov 25, 2016 6:39 pm

Cam timing? It can jump a tooth or two and not start.
One shot, one kill.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 7:45 pm

Frany wrote:I also installed new o rings and caps on all of the injectors as well as my new fuel damper.

Please explain about this... what is it, where does it go, and when did you install it ??

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

AE86Kai
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AE86Kai » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:41 pm

During my ownership of AW11, I never had to deal with this parts but, according to the link below, I think it is a Fuel Pulsation Damper.
It seems like this parts goes on the edge of the fuel rail.

http://www.toyotaguru.us/mr2-mk1-1989-a ... ector.html

May be clogged fuel line / filter ?
It happened on my very first car that was 1977 Volkswagen Scirocco "rust" from fuel tank was clogging in the fuel line / filter.
I hope your car will start soon...

Frany
Club4AG Regular

Postby Frany » Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:05 pm

Thanks for all the replies everyone.

The Fuel filter was recently replaced.
I completely redid the timing and made sure distributor was inserted correctly. Had a friend double check everything and the car still won't start and I'm still getting intake manifold backfires.
Here's a video: https://youtu.be/IgHC8Oha_iA

This article caused me to replace the fuel damper yesterday
https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/012004_08.pdf

I can take a picture of my cams and timing marks at tdc if it will help.

AE86Kai
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby AE86Kai » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:17 pm

It seems like you have done almost everything...the video shows that car should start anytime. :|
One last advise from me...very low possibility but, if you have an access to another STOCK ECU, try replace it.

Good luck-!

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sat Nov 26, 2016 10:08 pm

OK... if you hadn't been messing with the pulsation damper before the no start
problem began, then this is unlikely to be the problem. But if you look at the diagram
posted above, you will see that there are two copper washers, one either side of the
banjo fitting. The washer with the teeth on the inner diameter MUST go above the
banjo, and the plain washer underneath.

If you get them around the wrong way there is a good chance that the plain washer will
get wedged up inside the damper and block the fuel flow.

Other than that, there are a couple of other things that you can check. Make sure the
cold start injector is plugged in and functioning. The cold start injector will usually be
able to supply enough fuel on its own to get the car to fire while cranking. But as it only
squirts while cranking, the engine will die as soon as you let go of the key if the main
injectors are not working.

After a lot of cranking and no start, you can end up with an engine flooded with fuel.
If the plugs are fully wet when you pull them, leave them out overnight to give the fuel
in the cylinders time to evaporate. Take the plugs and dry them with a propane torch
or hot air blower. Fit the dry plugs the mext day and try cranking ... often times it
will fire right up :)

Cheers... jondee86

Frany
Club4AG Regular

Postby Frany » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:08 pm

I got the car running! Turns out a wire in my distributor was frayed. Fixed it and now it starts, sounds great but it will start up and then die instantly and whenever I hit the gas it will stall even before it shuts off.

jondee86

Postby jondee86 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:42 pm

Probably just running of the cold start injector. Check all the wires coming out
of the igniter for damage, shorting or wire broken inside the insulation. Check
them for continuity end to end. If the IGf signal does not reach the ECU the engine
will shut down about 1-2 seconds after you let go of the key from cranking.

Cheers... jondee86

Frany
Club4AG Regular

Postby Frany » Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:18 pm

figured it out, turns out my efi main relay was busted and my distributor wasnt in the right position, replaced the relay and she runs great! So happy :D
Thanks for all the help