'88 gt-s struts

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

'88 gt-s struts

Postby oldae82 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:03 pm

I know this isn't a 'new' topic, but I've read and searched and asked about struts until I don't know whether to poop or do loops. I have an '88 corolla gt-s coupe. It's in serious need of struts, front and rear. The rear ones seem pretty straight forward and readily available. For the fronts I keep getting referred to replaceable inserts, or units which don't seem to have the correct hydraulic brake line retainer/support. I don't think this car uses replaceable inserts. The ones on the car have a flat plate with an oblong hole which holds the brake line in place with a flat 'u' shaped retainer. The ones I get pointed to have a horseshoe shaped retainer, with a threaded bolt hole beside it, lower on the strut, near the mounting bolts, and it's not flat. The OE strut on the gt-s looks like the one on my '87 fx16, but with three top mounting bolts instead of the four on the fx. I ordered a set of adjustable struts off ebay, but the fronts have the wrong brake line retainer mount, and the rear ones have the sway bar link mount a fat inch closer to the mounting bolts than the existing struts. Please help. Google is getting tired of me.

jdm86gtz
Club4AG Expert

Re: '88 gt-s struts

Postby jdm86gtz » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:53 am

If you have OE front struts you can replace the inserts.
For the rears Koni did an adjustable insert but you have to cut the tops of the struts and drill holes in the bottom to bolt the inserts in.
I had them in AE101 struts

Here's a front strut from an AE101 and a front and rear insert from Koni for an AE92

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby oldae82 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 8:11 am

Well, thank you! How difficult is this? I have the normal assortment of hand tools, and I can rent a spring compressor. Is that enough?

Do the units complete units, less spring, that are listed for the rear actually fit?

I see that the ae101 strut has the brake hose mounting flange down low, unlike the ones on the ae92 which are higher up. Does that mean anything as to replaceable struts?

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby oldae82 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 9:47 am

Ne'mind. I looked at the struts and they have replaceable inserts and I've looked at some youtube thingies, and I think I can do it.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 4:07 pm

Just be real careful with the spring compressors and removing the spring. Make sure there is no tension on the top hat when you go to undo that nut on top. I sent pieces flying one time when I was breaking down a front strut when I thought all the tension was off the top hat :? Always wear eye protection at the least, or even a face shield if you have one.

I used a giant crescent wrench from Harbor Freight to remove the gland nut on top.

'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby oldae82 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:58 pm

Thanks for the voice of experience. Going to give it a try on Friday, with a pipe wrench and a cheater bar.