cv axle shaft

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

cv axle shaft

Postby oldae82 » Wed Sep 07, 2016 7:36 pm

I have an '87 ae82 (fx16) for which I'm trying to find a passenger side cv axle shaft. The output shaft of the transmission has a three-eared flange with a total of six mounting bolts. The auto parts stores here keep insisting that an eight-bolt flange will fit. It won't. On ebay I see two part numbers whose images seem to show a six-bolt flange; and 8059 and an 8035. I've written to contact the sellers for more info and I hope to hear back soon. Does anyone know what axle shaft this car requires?

On a separate note, one side of the transmission in the car that's currently on the road has the passenger side shaft with the six-bolt flange, and the driver's side with a shaft that has no flange at all- a splined shaft slides into the gearcase. How dey do dat? The transmission I have available to install has two six-bolt output shafts.

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: cv axle shaft

Postby taroroot » Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:38 pm

I recall the FX16 shafts misslisted in a lot of lookups. I think if you got the ones listed for a diesel it matched. The best way is to physically match what they have. The transaxle (transmission) actually fits all FWD Corollas of that era, the splined shaft with no bolted collar and the flange collar actually has same splines. Thus that mismatched one fits, the splines are the same between the two. However the shaft total length is unlikely to match.
I don't think many/any other Corollas use the flanged type, only the MR-2 I think had them.

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby oldae82 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 7:44 pm

Thank you. One supplier has asked for a vin to identify the correct axle shaft. The car that's currently on the road has a 6-bolt flange on the passenger side shaft, and a plug-in (? no flange, just the splined shaft inserted into the transmission) on the driver's side. Does this mean that they're interchangeable? It's been driven this way for years, as in 8 or so. Have I got a Frankencar?

ae82hybrid
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae82hybrid » Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:10 pm

All of the fx16 that I've ever came across had flange type axles with 6 total bolt holes on both sides of the axles. The non-flange type are something that was just stuck into there from another corolla chassis, something from the ae92 chassis and is slightly longer, at least for the driver side axle. Never have I seen one with a 8 bolt axle, that's more of a SW chassis iirc. There is a difference in size of the flange axles for the ae82. If you get one that is a 6 bolt axle and it holes don't line up because that axle is too small then look one up for a ae82 with a diesel engine, that one uses a 6 bolt flange axle that is larger in diameter. Hope this helps.

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby oldae82 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 3:04 pm

Thanks for the info. I'm hoping to put in a new engine and transmission, and I'll get to look more closely at what's in there now.

ae82hybrid
Club4AG Regular

Postby ae82hybrid » Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:58 pm

In my opinion I've always found it more convenient to have the flange style axles than the solid ones, way easier to replace without having to take the axle out and lose fluid during the process with solid axles.

taroroot
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby taroroot » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:56 pm

ae82hybrid wrote:In my opinion I've always found it more convenient to have the flange style axles than the solid ones, way easier to replace without having to take the axle out and lose fluid during the process with solid axles.

And if you jiggled things just right, you could remove the CV shafts without undoing the lower arm ball joints too, although its safer to just undo the joint.
Unfortunately I had to go away from that when I went custom shafts, so now I have an FX16 with single piece CV shafts. I was breaking shafts. Tip, aftermarket CV shafts are weak. Under normal everyday use they are ok, but under performance use they do not hold up. The custom shop said to find OEM shafts, they are superior even if the aftermarkets claim meets all specifications of OEM. So I went to junkyard to find me some OEM AE92 shafts which I sent to custom shop to modify.

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:11 pm

I used MR2 axles in mine when the CVs went out, had no issues. I did however hear the MR2 axles were a different length. The axles from my '87 MR2 supplies fit fine.
One shot, one kill.