20v silvertop bad transistor part number needed

jotten74

20v silvertop bad transistor part number needed

Postby jotten74 » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:49 pm

I have a 20v silvertop m/t ecu and the center transistor is burned out. Could anyone check to see if they have the part number for the transistor. My pictures include the part number for the ecu. I also have the notorious leaking capacitors but I can fix those no problem. I just don't know what to replace the transistor with. Thanks for any help in advance. I did spend weeks researching the issues with 20v transplants and thanks to this board I knew I had bad capacitors before I opened the ecu. I was surprised to see the bad transistor. According to what I have read it is more common in a blacktop ecu.

miswuevos
Club4AG Expert

Re: 20v silvertop bad transistor part number needed

Postby miswuevos » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:11 pm

jotten74 wrote:I have a 20v silvertop m/t ecu and the center transistor is burned out. Could anyone check to see if they have the part number for the transistor. My pictures include the part number for the ecu. I also have the notorious leaking capacitors but I can fix those no problem. I just don't know what to replace the transistor with. Thanks for any help in advance. I did spend weeks researching the issues with 20v transplants and thanks to this board I knew I had bad capacitors before I opened the ecu. I was surprised to see the bad transistor. According to what I have read it is more common in a blacktop ecu.

Maybe call toyota? who knows they might have that info...

Toyoloog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toyoloog » Fri Feb 08, 2013 2:08 am

I'll have a look to see if I have that ECU in my collection.

*EDIT*

The transistor you are looking for is a NEC type C4552

*/EDIT*

Perhaps not entirely off topic but here's the link for the blacktop VVT transistor problem:

http://www.my-acoustic.com/Car/ECU/20vM ... roblem.htm

Honestly, if I look at your ECU I'd bin it and try to get a new one. These capacitors look nasty and the PCB has been to hot judging by the black spot on the metal casing.
Coffee is what makes civilized life possible in these demanding times...

jotten74

Postby jotten74 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:10 pm

Thank you for the information. The page that you have linked is what lead me to believe I was going to find the issue with this car inside its ecu. I got the car cheap because someone else got tired of trying to fix it. They were just randomly replacing parts to try to make the check engine light go out. They got fixated on the afm but in the end gave up on trying to fix it. So I bought it as a challenge. I am making arrangements with a board member to replace the ecu but just thought it might be fun to see if I could fix my ecu.

Toyoloog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toyoloog » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:34 am

If you are going to bin it in the end, I would be interested in the MCU (the big 64 pin chip) to read the code stored inside.

jotten74

Postby jotten74 » Sat Feb 09, 2013 12:29 pm

Do you have a good ecu with that part number.

Toyoloog
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Toyoloog » Sun Feb 10, 2013 9:38 am

I have to take a look in my box of ECU's to see if I still have that one laying around. I know for sure I have one from an automatic transmission but that one uses 2 PCB's. Not sure if you can swap them over without any problems.