Cracked poly bushing -- would you run this?

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Cracked poly bushing -- would you run this?

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:25 pm

So I bought a set of Whiteline poly bushings (W51499) to use with my AE95 lower control arms (rear position, the big U-shaped ones, same bushing as an AE92). There's a crack running along the length of one side of ONE of the bushings -- no crack or split on the other one, and the OEM rubber bushings do not have a split or crack either. And it's obviously not a factory-made split, as it's uneven, and it's only on one of the bushings.

I was told that the crack did not matter, that it would not affect performance. Granted the bushing is wrapped up with a metal bracket on the entire U-shape, but what do you guys think? Would the control arm & metal sleeve (which obviously fits much more loosely in the cracked bushing) be able to flex the bushing and move around? Time to knock on Whiteline's door for an exchange?

'88 Corolla All-Trac x2 (manual, auto)

ae90tuner
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: Cracked poly bushing -- would you run this?

Postby ae90tuner » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:28 pm

I would want an exchange, there is no point in using an item that is not the way it was supposed to be designed. It may not affect anything, but it is a weak point for sure. The only bushings with splits like that are swaybar bushings. Even if it did work I myself would not be happy with it and put up with it.