GT-S fwd harnesses for RWD

jgscheeler

GT-S fwd harnesses for RWD

Postby jgscheeler » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:50 pm

so in the midst of turning my sr5 into a gts, i have the worst time locating and paying for parts
i still have yet to get a gts part from anywhere around me, and it seems as though none of my junkyards have any either. so i believe i saw a gts fwd in the junkyard, and i was wonderiing if the underdash and engine bay harnesses will work for my rwd gts upgrade. i have an engine harness with ecu allready, with a redtop rwd 4age 16v engine, i just cant get the harnesses and idk sheet about all the rewiring work.

yellowsnow4free
Club4AG Enthusiast

Re: GT-S fwd harnesses for RWD

Postby yellowsnow4free » Fri May 08, 2015 11:34 am

jgscheeler wrote:so in the midst of turning my sr5 into a gts, i have the worst time locating and paying for parts
i still have yet to get a gts part from anywhere around me, and it seems as though none of my junkyards have any either. so i believe i saw a gts fwd in the junkyard, and i was wonderiing if the underdash and engine bay harnesses will work for my rwd gts upgrade. i have an engine harness with ecu allready, with a redtop rwd 4age 16v engine, i just cant get the harnesses and idk sheet about all the rewiring work.

Super late reply, but hopefully I can be of some assistance.

99.9% of people are gonna say just get all 3 RWD Corolla GTS harnesses, and they're right, but I believe people have done the conversion without them, just be prepared for a lot of wiring.

The rear body harness is probably similar between a RWD SR5 and RWD GTS, with the exception of 1 wire for the electric fuel pump. I think the SR5 uses different connectors overall, but you can probably keep that and add a wire for the fuel pump. Search around here and Google and you should be able to find it.

I doubt a FWD under dash harness can be used, as I think the connectors are AE86 specific. There's definitely wire(s) for the CEL on a GTS, but you might be able to finnagle that. Either way, I have no experience doing this, but you'd likely have to utilize connectors and wire it up yourself anyway.

I would imagine the engine harness might be the most similar, but some wires might have to be shortened / lengthened due to the differences in the engine layout and accessories.

There are probably others who have done it, but I only know of 1 thread for sure where they used FWD wiring, and even then it was a mashup of SR5 wiring too:

http://club4ag.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=9&p=1026

IDK the ratio of AE86 SR5's vs GTS' sold, but there are undoubtedly more SR5's than GTS'. Therefore, there will come a point when there aren't enough GTS' to convert all the SR5's, right? As time goes on I'm sure there will be alternative wiring options than getting all GTS donor parts.

Anyway, this might be moot anyway since it's over a month old, but I thought I'd share my $0.02; good luck, and let us know if it worked out for you! :)