Are there any performance chips available for the FX16?

redptc

Are there any performance chips available for the FX16?

Postby redptc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:08 pm

My FX16 is currently all stock as it came from the factory. Are there any chips that will work to bump the performance? What is involved in installing them and setting them up? What are the downsides? The car has 176K miles on it and the engine has never been apart (other than timing belt replacement). I change the oil every 2500 miles and the engine looks pristine inside. Still, I don't want to do something that might over-stress the engine at this point.

Any leads or advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

p.s. I sure wish I had discovered this forum years ago!

redptc

Re: Are there any performance chips available for the FX16?

Postby redptc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 3:09 pm

oops, sorry for the double post

sirdeuce
Club4AG Pro

Postby sirdeuce » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:06 pm

I haven't found any "chips" for the USDM 4AGE models. The piggyback units won't work either, so don't waste your time and money on them. If you don't plan on doing a lot of work and keep the FX pretty much stock look into intake and exhaust mods they're the easiest things to do. Maybe play with the ignition timing. Supposedly, the FX is tuned down a tad from other 4ag models, but not sure what they did there, only 3hp less than the AW11 or AE86, probably the screwy exhaust system. But on the other hand, if you have a MAP type system the piggyback tuning parts should work a bit. I have a 2 1/4" exhaust on my AW11 and used a coupling to put the AFM on the throttle body with a cone filter and the engine seemed to like that well enough. It definitely felt better. But my FX is all stock with the exception of the irritating fart can the previous owner installed. Both are fun! Neither will win races. For now though, work on the suspension. I have BC coilovers and Whiteline sway bars and bushings installed. Turned the little FX into a brand new and different monster! Add the power later.......
One shot, one kill.

redptc

Postby redptc » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:18 pm

Thanks for the advice. I have always loved how my FX felt like it cornered like it was on rails. I will look into your recommended suspension upgrades though. As they say, it is more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow.

I had heard that the reason the FX had slightly lower horsepower than the MR2 was due to the different intake manifold required to fit in the engine bay. My exhaust system is all stock. I replaced the original muffler back in the early 90's with a Toyota lifetime muffler and it is still holding up. I guess they really didn't want to pay for replacements down the road. ;)

redptc

Postby redptc » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:42 am

I just heard about Jet Performance for reprogramming the chip. Here is a link: http://www.jetchip.com/imports.asp#BM1 Has anyone tried them? They claim they can bump HP on an MR2 by 13-14 HP. I figure I have essentially the same engine...

yoshimitsuspeed
Club4AG MASTER

Postby yoshimitsuspeed » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:07 am

That's for the MK2 MR2 with the 5S and 3S motors.
The 4AGE is more internally limited in stock form. Even if there was a chip you would be lucky to gain a few hp with the miserably low compression and tiny cams.
Same reason why intake and exhaust mods just don't do much for this motor.
On the other hand cams and compression even on the stock ECU can gain you 50% over stock power. That's assuming you are making factory power now.
Or you can boost it. You will have similar power limitations on the stock ECU but if you go turbo you have the option to grow in the future.