First project car question (AE92 with AE86 parts)

vlegionv

First project car question (AE92 with AE86 parts)

Postby vlegionv » Mon Feb 17, 2014 4:33 am

I'm getting my hands on an 1989 corolla GTS for free, working condition and decent condition not counting paint, bone stock.
I'm wanting to teach myself a skill, so I've decided to use this as a project car. I'm tired of daily driving an automatic solara, and I'd like to enjoy something with my work and time invested too, plus manual transmission c:.
I've been spending the last week reading alot of the old threads about ae92 tuning, so I kind of have an idea of where I should be going in with it, after I do a clean up of all bushings and battery check/airfilter/basic stuff.

My real and only question right now;
from what I can gather on the internet, there's a far larger ae86 community, and thus far more parts.
However, Aren't the pre-91 corolla gts's the same engine as the ae86?
If so, would I be able to use ae86 parts in an AE92 engine?

Disable adblock

This site is supported by ads and donations.
If you see this text you are blocking our ads.
Please consider a Donation to support the site.

Rogue-AE95
Club4AG Expert

Re: First project car question (AE92 with AE86 parts)

Postby Rogue-AE95 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:08 pm

86 = RWD
92 = FWD

Different: intake, exhaust, water lines, water pump, and I think the bigport ECUs as well. Accessories might also be different, I don't know. Alternators for 86 & 92 bolt up in the same place, might even be the same brackets.

Internals are interchangeable between all 16 valve 4A-GEs, except cranks & rods have to match (40mm or 42mm rod "big end" journals). 40mm cranks/rods were in the earlier engines, but there's no definable point at which they stopped being used. Same for the 3-rib/7-rib blocks.
'88 Corolla All-Trac

Return to “TECH: Corolla FWD / MR2”