Crank no start when cold, 4agze ***SOLVED***

gerkn
Club4AG Regular

Crank no start when cold, 4agze ***SOLVED***

Postby gerkn » Sun Feb 16, 2014 6:55 pm

Picked up a beautiful AE92 Levin GT-Z with a AE101 small port 4AGZE engine swap with C56 trans.
Car ran fine on the way home but I noticed the stop lights where stuck on. I pulled out the plugs from the lights and 2 days later properly adjusted the stop switch. Now the battery is dead, no worries I have a jump pack.
Jumped it and it cranks and cranks but wont fire. Got it to stumble a few times but that's it, tried flooring the gas pedal which seemed to do nothing. I have a cheap jump pack so I only get maybe 4 tries at cranking before its down to 50% charge and I have to recharge it. My old AE92 4AFE SR5 Trueno did the same thing when it was cold out but it would start fine if I floored the gas pedal. The car was just running fine and has tons of power and perfect idle, I can hear the fuel pump running and I believe it has spark so no idea what the issue is with the cold.
Any ideas?? Does the 4AGZE small port have cold start injector I read you can test them by pulling them out and putting them in a plastic bottle or something to see if it sprays fuel...

jondee86

Re: Crank no start when cold, 4agze small port AE101 in AE92

Postby jondee86 » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:08 pm

Cold start injector should be pretty easy to find. It will have a gas hose
tapped off the fuel rail and look a bit like this...

Pull it out and stick the end in a clear glass bottle... crank the engine and
see if fuel comes out while the engine is cranking. Usual precautions that
apply with gasoline and engines !!!!

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.

gerkn
Club4AG Regular

Postby gerkn » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:54 am

I was told by previous owner thaf when starting in the cold the silicone elbows on boost piping collapse so I pulled the first one off the throttle body, hooked up my jump pack and it cranked really slow. Cranked again then the battery sparked now I have no dash lights, radio, warning lights, headlights, etc. Going to put in a new battery and check fuses... what a headache to do in the snow.

Crownvicman289
Club4AG Enthusiast

Postby Crownvicman289 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:09 pm

The hoses sucking shut is normal on that engine if you use silicone/rubber elbows, which is precisely why you shouldn't use silicone/rubber elbows. If you use all metal bends and straight couplers, it won't do that.

gerkn
Club4AG Regular

Postby gerkn » Mon Mar 03, 2014 10:03 am

I replaced the elbow closest to the throttle body and the battery with a Optima red top and it started right up, thanks!