ae82 struts

oldae82
Club4AG Enthusiast

ae82 struts

Postby oldae82 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:12 pm

OK, in the search for the noise/click/ in the steering I decided to install new struts and bearing caps. After searching managed to find the four bolt bearing caps, and ordered them. Ordered a set of struts that were supposed to be for fx16 and fx16gts. Struts came, but the cup in which the bottom of the coil spring sits was about 1/2" too small for my coil spring. Decided to put the new bearing caps on the old struts, but found the inside diameter of the sleeve for the strut piston rod was 22mm and the strut piston rod of my strut was 20mm. Had an old strut assembly with the piston rod of 22mm, but they're totally worn out. By my reckoning there are three possible combinations: 22mm strut piston rod w/6 1/2" diameter coil spring; 20mm strut piston rod w/6 1/2" diameter coil spring; and 20mm strut rod piston w/6" diameter coil spring. There may even be more, but I've got these three in my shop, except I don't have any strut with an actual 6" diameter coil spring. How can I sort this out and get the proper combination? The old bearing caps sound like my knees, so I don't want to reuse them.

jondee86

Re: ae82 struts

Postby jondee86 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:18 pm

When faced with this problem I usually try reverting to the OEM specifications.
A site like this can help... http://japan-parts.eu/toyota/jp/1983/co ... ngine-fuel
If you accurately identify the original chassis/engine/trans combination (disregarding
any engine upgrades that may have been done) you should be able to find the relevant
parts diagram, like this for example...
http://japan-parts.eu/JP/6/MC9689C.png
Then grab the OEM part numbers and start searching the web. Depending on where the
car was originally sold (JDM, USDM etc) this should help you narrow down the list of
potential suppliers. If the car is not a USDM model, then you might find better support
rom a country where the model was sold. The interweb is good for that :)

Cheers... jondee86
The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress
depends on the unreasonable man.